C'da

Only problem is "--- that local/national politics gets in the way of what
the >>GOI/Army might really want to do. "

C'da:>That I am sure is  a shame, isn't it? IF only they could go in and
wipe >them out with one slick operation , with a nice code name like  Shock
and >Awe or Jai Bajrangbali or some such terminology!

These are not necessarily what you or I would subscribe to but that is the
logical reasoning of why the Govt. cannot be made up "sterner stuff". You
and I could call it whatever, but give this scenario to a Maoist or some
other setup (that some in this very net seem to sing praises for) and yes,
that would have been the outcome.
Imagine, if the the Indian Army were to make the decisions in Assam, or say
some tough PM comes along (like Indira G) and doesn't really care for
feelings and politics - things could get real rough.

C'da:>But that is how asymmetrical warfares are fought, and won by rebels,
insurgents and even 'terrorists'. Remember  Nelson Mandela and his band >of
'terrorists', ....

Of course we know that - so the ULFA would kill and maime its own people to
maybe achieve its goal? I know you are trying very hard. The ANC and Mandela
were violent and but even  they targeted mostly infrstructural instutions
and the SA police/army. Mandela had principles (and still upholds those). It
really a huge stretch to compare the ULFA and its leadership with anything
close to the ANC/Mandela.

The equation is far different in India as far as "asymmetrical warfares".
(BTW most analysts on the subject term this as a "Minor Conflict" - the
connotations mean a lot. For the ULFA it may be a "war" but for India it IS
a minor conflict, simply because the trouble is confined to the NE ONLY and
that is HOW India has been treating the "war".) Yes, ULFA makes the
headlines when they bomb and kill innocent people - but thats about it. But
the GOI can go on with this for a very long time and not bat an eyelid.

Remember how long ULFA has been 'terrorists'  and has been in the US >sh**t
list  with the august company of that Hinduttwa standard-bearer RSS >( or is
the VHP)?

C'da - this is what most analysts write  - this is NOT my brainwave. As far
as "insurgents" are concerned, they don't want to be listed as "terrorists"
and as as countries go, the sooner they get these listed the better for
them. There are practical and real problems for insurgents once they get
into these LISTS.

For example, they can't seek legitamacy that easily anymore. Their 'cause'
is actually totally marginalized and they are treated as the world's
paraiahs. No overt support from "friendly" countries. Friendly countries
that harbor them now, could as easily give them up - with no compunction
(Bhutan).

In fact, the UN and its wings also find it difficult (when need arises) to
raise HR issues. Thus they have to depend on "friendly" HR groups to fight
their battles for them.

Lasly, the last decade or so has taught many countries, from Israel, Russia
and others that Countries do not sit across the table with NON-STATE groups.
Simply because they are really represented by an often transient/fractured
leadership and things are not coherent.

So, if the GOI were to sit across the table today with the big-wigs of ULFA
today and hammer out a solution, it may not actually bring anything or any
peace. There may still be others dissatisfied, and say form another group
say TOULFA (Ticked-off ULFA) to fight for another decade with new demands or
whatever - KJD also hinted on this.

The only solution for those on the big Sh*t list is to become an independent
country with their own Govt. Once they do that, then all that legit stuff
they seek will comes their way - but do you really think ULFA can get its
own country ? and when?
Unfortunately, until then, the ulfa will have to be content to be called
terrorists by any world body or country.

C'da: >other than showing the world how -so-caring we are, ought to raise
their >voices for SINCERE negotiations, with the aim to find a political
settlement >of the nightmare.

Sure thing C'da. Until now, we not heard of a single solution put forward by
anyone. Why don't you and all those who care so much come up with a
practical doable solution for talks and for peace. Something that is
acceptable to both (all) sides.  :)

--Ram

I am sure glad you found Kamal's solution exciting :-). Only problem is
"--- that local/national politics gets in the way of what the GOI/Army might
really want to do. "

That I am sure is  a shame, isn't it? IF only they could go in and wipe
them out with one slick operation , with a nice code name like  Shock and
Awe or Jai Bajrangbali or some such terminology!

But that is how asymmetrical warfares are fought, and won by rebels,
insurgents and even 'terrorists'. Remember  Nelson Mandela and his band of
'terrorists',  and Dick Cheney 's opposition to letting Mandela out of the
South African White Supremacists' prison? They were terrorists!

Terrorism, incidentally is not limited to the underdogs.  Examples are all
around you, if you only open your blinders out a little bit to take a peek.
But semantics go only so far, as I hope you have noticed. Remember how long
ULFA has been 'terrorists'  and has been in the US sh**t list  with the
august company of that Hinduttwa standard-bearer RSS ( or is the VHP)?

>Lets turn this around, does he or other sympathizers or the ULFA think
that the GOI or India will just >vanish into the thin air, just because they
want to wish it away?

*** Unfortunately turning that around won't take you, the unaffected or
the affected and the protected anywhere. Because, if past and recent
experience is any guide, ULFA knows WHAT works.  And what works, will hurt a
lot of people. Your people and mine.

That is why those who care, and the care is not  limited to shedding tears
over the internet with nothing coming out of it other than showing the world
how -so-caring we are, ought to raise their voices for SINCERE negotiations,
with the aim to find a political settlement of the nightmare.

There will be ample time to debate who the good guys and heroes are and
hang those marigold garlands on their necks and who the bad guys are to call
them cowards and satisfy the sports-spectators' yen for cheap thrills.

c-da :-)

At 12:48 PM -0600 6/12/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:

Well said KJD. There are several issues one needs to take vis-a--vis SB's
nuance of TRADERS (and C'da's) regarding that these traders want some
negotiation.

First of all, insurgents* do not want* to be classified as Terrorists - if
one happens to read across the board (not just the anti-establishment (Read
Govt.)) research and conflict resoultion papers about armed groups, a
clearer picture emerges.

Many problems are associated with that label. That is why pro-ULFA
sympathizers are trying very hard to pass off the ulfa as a"freedom" or
"insurgent" group.

The problems that arise are: once included in the sh**t list (like ULFA in
the the US list) its difficult even if peace comes about to get off that
list.

No country can overtly side with terrorists.

Second, countries do not want to "negotiate" with NON-State groups like
the ULFA. Any solutions found cannot be assigned to a group whose make up
(and accountabilty) is highly suspect. Remember the ulfa released by the GOi
- they promptly took up arms again.

The more a country keeps talking to such groups, the more they are given
legitamacy and recognition - and thats what these groups and their
sympathizers want.

C'da keeps asking "do they want the ULFA to just disappear?"

Lets turn this around, does he or other sympathizers or the ULFA think
that the GOI or India will just vanish into the thin air, just because they
want to wish it away? Do they think, that Delhi and the GOA is filled with
less than intelligent officials who have no clue what and how to deal with
groups like the ulfa?

I would say this - that local/national politics gets in the way of what
the GOI/Army might really want to do. That is what makes them go soft.

IMHO - some talks should definitely be there - but the GOI must be adamant
that certain things like lay down the arms, and the "S" word be off the
table.

>It is nave to think that rebel groups would simply give up the battle and
surrender >once they lose militarily to government forces. After all, even
the most >elementary lesson of armed conflicts suggests that military power
is only one >factor among many in determining outcomes.

Maybe that the "army" is only a part of the soltuion, But no govt. can sit
by quietly, while a group of thugs go on a rampage.

But it looks like when an "insurgent" group seeks only violence as it main
arsenal, then that is the response they should be ready for, instead of
having their supporters fan out and cru Uncle!

Incidentally, the Khalistan demand in the Punjab started with a bang,
continued with violence, they even blew up an Air India flight, and then
they are all gone with a wimper. The GOI got its way. The Russians (I think)
have also got the better of the Chechnian "insurgents". The Chinese, just
shoot all the "insurgents" when

they start giving a bit of trouble.

I would like to ask experts here - how many of these low-intensity armed
conflicts (whether their cause is legitimate or not) have actually become a
"country" (in the modern era - within the last 50 years of so)? What are the
ultimate payoffs? It would be interesting to find out.

--Ram