http://www.epm.org/articles/Child_Slavery_Stats.html

  stats - bad but it is mostly debt bondage -- why doesn't USA pay up for the
poor and get them free (if thats the main problem) - I guess the total amount
would be less than $100 billion.

  Umesh

Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Thanks for fwding this, C'da. I agree, India needs a wagging finger at
times.  And this is one of those times.

  But can India get off this sh*t list or is she forever banished? :) - Oh! its
for 6 months, and not in tier 3!

  Seriously, though, this is appalling. A country like India cannot be taken
seriously when she fails in such areas.

  65 million forced laborers? Thats a bit strange? What is the definition of
'forced laborers'?

  I know there are some terrible cases of children/women being forced to work
as mechanics, ship-yard workers (in dangerous situations), painters, buildings
etc. Are those 'forced' labor?

  Then there are millions being employed as 'appas' or 'appis'  all over
middle-class India. When we were living there, we always had someone to help
around (usually a kancha) - was treated right and was basically a member of the
family. But looking back, I feel that was the age when that kancha ought to
have been playing or studying. One of my sisters, did just that, her 'servant'
was made to go to school alos, and after many years, he got a Masters' degree -
works for a big corp.
  I don't know the answer to the apa/api situation - its a tough one. Same goes
for child labor -poverty is still a huge problem in India.

  It goes without saying human trafficking numbers (though small compared to
the total population) is just as terrible.

  --Ram