Ram:
Thanks for the reference which I saw before. The website however does not help
much. Let me explain what the Indians are up against to establish their
creditability.

First Indians never kept any good records of things (not to speak of historical
records).

Say for the case of Geometry.
The Greeks have established the fact that Pythagoras started the process of
demonstrative geometry back in the 6th century BC starting with the first
demonstrative proof of the now famous Pythagoras Theorem.   Even if you read
the website, you will find that the earliest records of the Hindu Geometry are
in the so called Sulba Sutras which are considered to be written after the
Vedas somewhere in 3rd or at the most 5th century BC. Then even in those Sulba
Sutras, there is no proof of any of the geometry but only the references
(sutras) of knowledge of the different geometrical figures including the right
angled triangle (Pythagoras triangle).  Then in case of Greek geometry, Euclid
wrote a complete book with proofs of about 13 famous geometry theorems sometime
in 2nd century BC or so. Against this, India never developed any demonstrative
proof of any geometry at all till Euclid's book was translated into Sanskrit in
sometime in the 16th century. What we read in highschool geometry are all Greek
Geometry from Euclid. This is not to say that Indians never discussed proofs on
geometry theorems at all. They must have. But where is the proof.

Similarly if you take the case of Astronomy, for each and every case of Hindu
development, the West cites a prior Greek development so much so that the West
is now telling that most of the Astronomy  India learned from the Greeks after
the Alexander (323 BC). Even writers like Balsham and others admit that India
borrowed Astronomy from Greeks. This is again not to say that Indians did not
know astronomy before. The Vedas has reference to astronomy. But that is just
reference. The record on the other hand shows that India actually were
interested in Astronomy nor for the sake of Astronomy but for the sake of
Astrology.

We actually come to some solid ground only with Aryabhata in the 5th century
during the Gupta period (when the Greeks are long gone from the picture). The
West actually acknowledges Aryabhata to be one of the greatest Mathematicians
who invented Algebra, Trigonometry, a heliocentric solar system, earth is round
etc and many more things. (The word 'Sine' as in Sine Theta etc is derived from
the Sanskrit word Jaib. The West acknowledge that).

But the vital question, during all this long history of Indian mathematics,
Indians are having a tough time trying to find any solid (I mean SOLID) record
who and when invented the ZERO and when India first started using the Zero as a
number and a numeral. Many also suspect that India probably borrowed the idea
of Zero from the Babylonians who also had invented a zero long before India.
(In fact the Maya also had invented a zero). Only ground India has when
Bhramagupta started using the zero as a number in his Algebra. But now we are
talking of 6th or 7th century AD. The West recognize Bharhmagupta also. In
spite all this, the West now acknowledge the fact that India invented the Zero
without going into too much arguments.

Thus we see that India has some solid ground and some watery. Against this type
of background, some Indians are now trying to proof that India is the
originators of everything. That is the problem which West or anybody else do
not like to accept.
Hope you get the picture.
I would like to see netters comments on these.
Barua