Hi,

While discussing with Ahsan-da Aziz the maker of the film
http://www.sonam.net.tc/
I learnt many things which might surprise some .

For one despite having ample water Assam imports fish from South India -
strange trade. The eggs are hatched in Assam , roe (young little fish) are
raised in Assam's fish farm - then they are sent to Andhra Pradesh where they
grwo and then brought all  the way back to be sold in Guwahati's fish markets (
a regular place where ULFA places the bombs and kills civilians and also at the
vegetable market).

About floods I am told it is a week long activity in Assam - only one week!! or
ten days - and that due to global warming the moisture is transported to
deserts of Rajasthan which are seeing unheard of floods in areas which never
received any rains at all. Cherapoonji - world's wettest place has seen no
rains since all that rainwater has shifted onwards to drop on Mumbai causing
massive unheard of floods.

Those with slightest knowledge of monsoon rains in India would know that warm
moisture laden winds flow inwards towards Assam and rest of NE India in Spring
onwards  and when they reach Himalayas they rise higher and cool down to form
rain. Now it doesn't cool down enough so no rain for NE India for past 2 years.
The winds continue westwards and causing floods in usually desert areas (which
have seen ground water disappear over the years due to excessive population and
irrigation) thus I am sure thse guys are not complaing about unheard of floods.

Umesh

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]