ULFA's C-in-C must come for talks

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=nov2107/at03
>From Our Spl Correspondent
 SINGAPORE, Nov 20 – Putting the onus on ULFA to come for talks with
Government of India, New Delhi said it is keen to revive the peace process
only if commander-in-chief Paresh Barua comes for talks. A senior official
accompanying Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Sing, on his Singapore tour, told
this newspaper that it was for the ULFA to revive the peace process. In what
was reflective of hardening of stand, the official once involved with the
ULFA peace process, said let them come up with a proposal.

"We all know that none of the cadres, top leaders matter unless Baruah
himself comes for talks."

New Delhi's frustration could be traced to the orgy of violence orchestrated
by ULFA first targeting non-Assamese settlers. The Centre had earlier only
insisted that it abjure violence and come for talks, though it also
mentioned on a written commitment from the outfit.

Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi, yesterday after meeting the Defence Minister,
AK Anthony ruled out the possibility of easing army operations in the State,
in the light of the stunning success achieved during the last couple of
months. The Centre too is supportive of the move.

About the talks with NSCN (I-M), the official said though there has been no
forward movement, there has been no deterioration either.