As a matter of fact, there are many debates on whether
journalists should remain as  "observers"  or become a
"participant"

I think that they should remain as observers.  There
are two reasons why I think so ---

1) If they become participants, they might be missing
a moment which they should have captured

2) If they become participant, in some cases they
might get biased. This point might not be true in all
cases though.

The example of WW II is a good one.  But for example,
in the battlefield if a German see an American injured
and then he see another couple of American advancing
toward a bridge/building which he is supposed to
protect,  what he should do ?
It is difficult to draw a balance.
I would say it is probably a very grey area.

Bias (percieved or otherwsie) in journalism is a
different issue though .... In an utopian world,
every journalist should have zero bias towards any
political party, region, language, caste etc.  But
then again,  it is not utopian world.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5241442

http://gec.tamucc.edu/article.pl?sid=07/02/07/194207&mode=nocomment

> [...]
> > self-regulation that has the effect of building
> trust between a specific
> > news organisation and its readership or audience,
> through the systematic,
> > impartial and public handling of complaints, and
> through the open discussion
> > of issues raised by readers concerning its
> journalism. I would put it a
> > little stronger than that and say that for any
> news organisation that
> > recognises a responsibility to the society it
> serves, it offers a real
> > chance to build a new, more open and responsive
> relationship with its
> > readership or audience. It is also, incidentally,
> something which readers
> > are increasingly demanding in the new electronic
> environment in which email
> > and quick and easy access and response are
> expected.
> >
> > That the presence of an ombudsman fosters this
> relationship with positive
> > benefit to the employer as well as to society at
> large seems to be supported
> > both anecdotally by ombudsmen who believe that
> their activities strengthen
> > trust and loyalty, and by more formal tests. In a
> recent survey of *
> > Guardian* readers, for example, 75 per cent said
> they believed that the
> > existence of an ombudsman made the paper more
> responsive to their complaints
> > and queries.
> >
> > The appointment of an ombudsman is a unilateral
> act by the newspaper or
> > broadcast outlet that sends a strong signal to
> readers, listeners or
> > viewers. It represents a positive answer to this
> question: Why should a
> > newspaper or news programme that by its nature is
> constantly calling on
> > others to be accountable for their actions not be
> accountable for its own
> > actions? I shall say more in a moment about the
> benefits, the side effects
> > if you like, that may flow from the appointment of
> an ombudsman but I want
> > to emphasise here that – in my opinion and
> experience – any benefits depend
> > on the altruism of the initial motivation. You
> appoint an ombudsman because
> > you want your news organisation to be an honest
> self-correcting institution
> > with dedication to getting it right and no
> interest in getting it wrong. To
> > put it a little higher, you want to feed into the
> arena of public debate
> > accurate information upon which the citizen can
> rely when he or she is
> > forming an opinion on the affairs of the day. The
> questions for an editor or
> > individual journalist are: Would I say this if I
> was talking directly to an
> > individual reader or, say, to a respected friend,
> rather than communicating
> > through the medium of a newspaper or broadcast
> programme? If I slipped into
> > error wouldn't I naturally correct it?
> >
> > Just before we come back down to the realities and

=== message truncated ===