Ram-da,  photojournalism have always been in the realm
of controversy.  There are tonns of information in the
net on this.
I just picked up one such case.
This (Vulture and Child) is one such photo which also
won a pulitzer prize.  The second link gives the
details of controversy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5241442

http://gec.tamucc.edu/article.pl?sid=07/02/07/194207&mode=nocomment

>>The last few weeks, many of us have been
contemplating the role that the
>>news media ought to have. Many have felt that news
organizations have not
>>lived up their mark and have been irresponsible in
their reporting.

>>Well, those interested might be interested in this
lecture by Mayes. Mayes
>>makes some very valid points, and this idea of a
news ombudsman is quite
>>intriguing.

>>--Ram

>>http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/nic/indialecture.htm

>> Lecture presented by The Hindu in New Delhi and
Chennai, January 2006

>>"The news ombudsman – a visible presence, an
independent voice"

>> Ian Mayes

>>Readers' Editor,

>>*The Guardian* & President, Organisation of News
Ombudsmen (ONO)

The ombudsman works independently within news
organisations at the interface
between readers, listeners and viewers on the one
hand, and journalists and
editors on the other. I sometimes compare the position
to that of a referee
in a football game, one that can get pretty rough at
times. He or she – the
ombudsman, that is – represents a form of
self-regulation that differs in
one important respect from all others relevant to the
media, such as the
Press Complaints Commission in the United Kingdom,
which apply across a
whole industry. It is the only kind of self-regulation
that has the effect
of building trust between a specific news organisation
and its readership or
audience, through the systematic, impartial and public
handling of
complaints, and through the open discussion of issues
raised by readers
concerning its journalism. I would put it a little
stronger than that and
say that for any news organisation that recognises a
responsibility to the
society it serves, it offers a real chance to build a
new, more open and
responsive relationship with its readership or
audience. It is also,
incidentally, something which readers are increasingly
demanding in the new
electronic environment in which email and quick and
easy access and response
are expected.

That the presence of an ombudsman fosters this
relationship with positive
benefit to the employer as well as to society at large
seems to be supported
both anecdotally by ombudsmen who believe that their
activities strengthen
trust and loyalty, and by more formal tests. In a
recent survey of *Guardian
* readers, for example, 75 per cent said they believed
that the existence of
an ombudsman made the paper more responsive to their
complaints and queries.

The appointment of an ombudsman is a unilateral act by
the newspaper or
broadcast outlet that sends a strong signal to
readers, listeners or
viewers. It represents a positive answer to this
question: Why should a
newspaper or news programme that by its nature is
constantly calling on
others to be accountable for their actions not be
accountable for its own
actions? I shall say more in a moment about the
benefits, the side effects
if you like, that may flow from the appointment of an
ombudsman but I want
to emphasise here that – in my opinion and experience
– any benefits depend
on the altruism of the initial motivation. You appoint
an ombudsman because
you want your news organisation to be an honest
self-correcting institution
with dedication to getting it right and no interest in
getting it wrong. To
put it a little higher, you want to feed into the
arena of public debate
accurate information upon which the citizen can rely
when he or she is
forming an opinion on the affairs of the day. The
questions for an editor or
individual journalist are: Would I say this if I was
talking directly to an
individual reader or, say, to a respected friend,
rather than communicating
through the medium of a newspaper or broadcast
programme? If I slipped into
error wouldn't I naturally correct it?

Just before we come back down to the realities and
pressures of day-to-day
journalism let me quote Savonarola on the spirit of
truth: "This is a moral
rather than a legal duty, insomuch as it is certainly
a debt of honesty owed
by every man to his neighbour…" A debt of honesty owed
by every man to his
neighbour. Could we say that truth is a debt of
honesty owed by every
newspaper to its readers….?

The first step along this road is, I suggest, a very
simple one – one that
may work better if accompanied by the appointment of
an ombudsman but which
does not absolutely need one. It is the voluntary,
regular and systematic
publication of corrections: an easy matter for
newspapers and now made much
easier for broadcasters of news through the happy
advent of related
websites. One only has to look at the way in which the
BBC is now using its
website for this purpose. Why has it been so difficult
for news
organisations to take this simple step? After all – if
I may quote a Spanish
proverb – he is always right who suspects that he is
always making mistakes.
I can only suppose it is because of the strength of
the cultural fallacy –
and the strength with which, historically, it has
gripped journalism – that
the frank admission of error somehow undermines
authority. There is no
evidence for that.

Indeed there is mounting evidence that it has the
opposite effect: the
Danish newspaper, *Politiken*, in two surveys which
produced similar
results, found that for the majority of its readers
trust was enhanced by
the systematic publication of corrections, and only 3
per cent of those
surveyed said that their confidence had been
undermined. *The Guardian*,
similarly, has found that the number of readers who
say they trust its news
reporting – more than 80 per cent – is significantly
higher than the
prevailing level in Britain, which falls into single
figures for the
so-called redtop tabloids.

What I believe does undermine trust among readers,
listeners or viewers is
not the admission of error – even when the error is of
an extremely serious
nature – but the discovery or revelation or forced
admission of a
significant error that has gone uncorrected. An honest
piece of advice to
readers might be: never trust a newspaper which never
appears to get
anything wrong, and treat the others with the degree
of skepticism your
experience advises. Every journalist who has ever
worked in newspapers knows
that the portrait is incomplete and misleading without
the warts. The same
goes for radio and television news. It is product of
the way we work. Last
year *The Guardian* published more than 1,600
corrections. Some of the
larger newspapers in the United States exceed 2,000.
When I began this job,
as the first ombudsman of this kind in the history of
journalism in Britain,
a colleague from a tabloid newspaper – one that very
very rarely indeed
carries corrections – said, "Tell them about the
chaos!" The way to break
free from the culture of denial – a denial of the
realities of news
production – is to acquire the habit of correcting as
you go.

To come back to the football analogy. The rules of the
game, in Britain as
in many other countries, are set by the industry
regulator, in this case the
Press Complaints Commission, the PCC. These rules are
embodied in a document
correctly called the editors' code – because this
again, it is important to
emphasise, is self-regulation. It is called the
editors' code because the
editors wrote it. It applies only to printed
journalism. The institution of
ombudsman is perfectly compatible with the PCC and
similar organisations. At
*The Guardian* the editors' code, or the PCC code as
it is more usually
called, is the rule book by which the game I referee
is played. In fact, *The
Guardian* has its own editorial code – published on
its website – which
incorporates the PCC code and extends it, for example
to cover declarations
of interest, the need for reporters to avoid outside
activities,
particularly political ones which are incompatible
with their
responsibilities to *The Guardian* and its readers,
and so on. Many of these
extra provisions, going beyond the PCC code, have come
made by readers through my office as readers' editor
or ombudsman.

I have mentioned corrections at some length. Most
newspaper ombudsmen and
most of those working in the broadcast media now
combine a responsibility
for corrections with a regular (in my case weekly)
column or programme in
which it is possible to discuss issues raised by
readers, particularly
ethical issues, at greater length. The reporting of
suicide was one subject
I dealt with, in fact, in several columns. Another was
the manipulation of
pictures, including one that *The Guardian* used
across its front page taken
in the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attack in
Atocha station in
Madrid. One advantage of the regular appearance of
such columns is that they
create a kind of running debate on the ethics of what
we do, making it easy
and normal for that sort of discussion to take place.
In fact my columns at
*The Guardian* fall into three main categories: those
dealing with ethical
issues; those explaining how different parts of *The
Guardian* work,
recently, for instance, several columns explaining
aspects of the change
from broadsheet to the Berliner format and the
philosophy behind it. The aim
of columns in this category is to inform the questions
and criticisms that
readers level at the newspaper – theoretically regular
readers of the column
should be able to ask better, more searching
questions. And the third
category of columns is that dealing with questions
about *The Guardian'*s
use and misuse of the English language.

I want to come very soon to the possible benefits to
the newspaper that I
mentioned at the beginning, but just before I do that
let me insert a short
historical note:

The idea of having resident ombudsmen in news
organisations, although still
taken up by only a tiny minority of publications and
broadcasting channels,
has been around for a little over 50 years. It
originated, in the principal
form in which it now exists, in the United States in
the 1960s. It has
existed in Japan, in a somewhat different form, for
much longer than that.
Most of those now practising as ombudsmen, in
newspapers, television and
radio channels around the world, owe a good deal to
the American model.
Whether they are known as ombudsmen, readers'
representatives, public
editors, or – The term I believe I invented when I
took up my appointment at
*The Guardian* in 1997 – their functions are more or
less as I have
described. Most commonly, but not always, they are
appointed from within the
news organisation. Exceptions include *The Washington
Post* and *The New
York Times*, where the ombudsman may be someone who
has distinguished
himself or herself elsewhere in the industry. *The New
York Times*, of
course, appointed its first ombudsman fairly recently
in the aftermath of
the Jayson Blair affair. I remembered the words of its
managing editor
Joseph Lelyveld in a remark made to me before all that
blew up. When I asked
him why *The New York Times* had not appointed an
ombudsman he said, "We are
the ombudsmen." The editor of The Times in Britain
made a similar remark
apparently when appointing only a few months ago
someone to write a weekly
column dealing with the readers' complaints. He
rejected the title "readers'
editor" with the reported remark, "I am the readers'
editor", and settled
for "feedback editor."

The title is not the main thing. The main things are
independence and
visibility to the readers, listeners, or viewers –
there seems to me little
point in having an ombudsman if no one knows that you
have one. In *The
Guardian* my contact details appear on every day of
publication, once on
page 2 and again with the daily corrections column on
the leader page of the
paper. This is where all the corrections always
appear, no matter where in
the paper the original mistake was published.

So visibility is important, and so is independence.
Many of those practising
as news ombudsmen have their independence from the
editor and his or her
team guaranteed by their organisations. In some cases
this is just verbal or
something that has been established by practice, in
others independence is
guaranteed publicly and/or contractually. My
independence is guaranteed by
the owner of *The Guardian*, the Scott Trust, and my
terms of reference are
published on the Guardian website.

The great majority of practising ombudsmen belong to
an international
organisation, the Organisation of News Ombudsmen
(ONO), of which I am the
current president. It has something approaching 100
members worldwide and
recently celebrated its 25th anniversary at a
conference I hosted in London.
Next year, in May, the conference is to be held in Sao
Paulo, hosted by the
ombudsman on Folha de Sao Paulo, reflecting a growing
interest in this form
of self-regulation in that part of the world. It also
reflects eagerness on
the part of the Organisation of News Ombudsmen to
foster that interest and
to make the accumulated experience of its members
freely available to those
who believe they might find it helpful. Such is the
level of interest over
the past few years and continuing today that ONO has
recently appointed
Jeffrey Dvorkin, the immediate past president and the
ombudsman for National
Public Radio in Washington, outreach director of the
organisation.

The desire to enhance trust through self-regulation is
often very strong in
countries with a difficult or complex political
situation or inheritance. I
have been involved in several pilot schemes for media
self-regulation in
several Russian regions. A book of my columns, mainly
those dealing with
ethical issues, was published earlier this year in
Russian by the Moscow
Media Law and Policy Institution, and this, I am told,
helped to persuade *
Isvestia* to appoint an editor to write a weekly
column discussing readers'
complaints and the response of the relevant editors.
For many reasons I
believe this form of self-regulation is an idea whose
time has come.

Let me finally come to one of the welcome effects that
the activities of an
ombudsman can bring. The head of The Guardian's legal
affairs department
believes that the prompt action that I am able to take
to deal with serious
complaints reduces the number of people seeking to sue
the paper for libel
and defamation by between 30 per cent and 50 per cent.
Her initial estimate
was based on a comparison between her caseload in the
year before my
appointment, and that in my first year. She believes
this effect continues,
and something similar is reported by some of the other
ombudsmen, from
California to Istanbul. There is almost certainly also
a reduction in the
number of complaints going directly to, or going on
to, the industry
regulator where one exists. I certainly believe that I
reduce the number of
complaints relating to The Guardian that go to the
Press Complaints
Commission in Britain. Theoretically it is possible
for a complaint against
The Guardian to come first to me, then if not
satisfied, to go to the Press
Complaints Commission, and if still not satisfied, to
go to law. In the
eight years that I have been ombudsman at The Guardian
I think only three or
four people have gone through all three stages. On the
rare occasions that
they have done that and a complaint has been upheld,
damages have been
reduced because of the efforts already made to satisfy
the complainant. It
is worth saying here that the idea that the
recognition of a justified
complaint and the publication of a quick and sincere
apology aggravate
matters and prompt litigation is in my experience
almost totally false.
Other ombudsmen feel the same. All the evidence
suggests it has the opposite
effect.

My view is that the greater the real and perceived
independence of the
ombudsman, the greater those benefits are likely to
be. Thinking people want
responsive, responsible and accountable news
organisations. I believe
ombudsmen are one way to achieve that.

Thank you.