http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2007/12/27/world/asia/20071227_BHUTTO_FEATURE.html#section1

>>Have we NOT been aware of these kind of activities
going on for
decades? Didn't we know that rhinos are shot down with
shotgun
>>pellets and left to die in horrible agony.  Didn't
we know that they
are trapped in pits with bamboo spikes lining the pits
to impale
>>these animals and let them die in horrible pain?

Did we need this picture to finally awaken us to
animal cruelty.

>>Or did we need the body of the FCI official Ram
lying in a pool of
blood across the newspapers to tell us about the
tragedy ?

>>Or images of freshly killed 'suspected insurgents',
strung up on
bamboo poles taken away by the police in UNIFORM?

>>If it did, then something is terribly wrong with our
own
sensitivities, isn't it?

>>The truth is that our sensitivities have long been
buried, if they
were there at all.

>>A civilization is not marked by its ability to
disperse shock value.
>>It is marked by its ability to get the message
across and stay with
>>it, without the blood and gore, without trampling on
the

At 9:37 PM +0530 1/21/08, Manoj Das wrote:
>but for these journalists we would never have seen
such a horrific
>picture and symbol of mens' greed. journalists should
show what we

wrote:
>>  You are absolutely correct. Sensitivity is lacking
when the newspapers
>>  publish not only the picture of a suffering animal
but also pictures of dead
>>  people lying on the street killed by the police or
the militants. Several
>>  months ago, I was shocked by photographs of the
FCI official's dead body
>>  lying in a pool of blood, and had a nightmare.
>>    Is it shock therapy and does it work?
>>    Dilip
>>
>>  Chan Mahanta <cmahanta at charter.net> wrote:
>>    > >But in this
>>  >case, maybe, just maybe, it will wake up the
Govt, and others who seem
>>  >hell-bent to capture the limelight at the first
opportunity.

>>  *** Limelight is absolutely a misnomer. It
demonstrates an utter lack
>>  of sensitivity to blood and gore, a cultural void,
which is not
>>  unexpected from the most violent society on earth:
India.

>>  I am glad it was a front page story. However it
could have been dealt
>>  with a bit of maturity that could be expected from
civilized society.

>>  Perhaps my expectation is misplaced.
>>

>>  At 8:02 AM -0600 1/21/08, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>>  >C'da,
>>  >
>>  >In India this journalistic discretion is
absolutely different.
>>  >Maybe Indian news media is going thru a phase,
and such standards be
>>  damned.
>>  >
>>  >Some examples:
>>  >The Beltola incident - many newspapers & TV were
not ashamed to show a
>>  naked
>>  >woman running around.
>>  >
>>  >In the tiger attack in the Guwahati Zoo, last
month, it seems a number of
>>  TV
>>  >channels showed live footage. There was only one
newspaper (The Hindu)
>>  which
>>  >said 'after a discussion with the editors', it
was decided to publish only
>>  >black & white photo, not color'.
>>  >
>>  >And now this gory & sickening photo of the
unfortunate rhino. But in this
>>  >case, maybe, just maybe, it will wake up the
Govt, and others who seem
>>  >hell-bent to capture the limelight at the first
opportunity.
>>  >
>>  >--Ram
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >On 1/21/08, Chan Mahanta wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> I have never seen a newspaper with a modicum of
journalistic
>>  >> discretion publish something like this horrific
picture on their
>>  >> front page.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> >Oh my Country!!!
>>  >>
>>  >> *** Indeed!
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> At 6:02 PM +0530 1/21/08, mc mahant wrote:
>>  >> >Manoj,
>>  >> >When I opened the Tribune in the morning- I
thought-the beast/s who
>>  >> >did that needed to be castrated. Later on
--more rational thoughts
>>  >> >came. To teach every citizen/human how
vivisection needs to be
From:
>>  >> >dasmk2k at gmail.com> To: assam at
assamnet.org> Subject: [Assam] symbol
http://www.assamtribune.com/jan2108/Photo.html> >
>>  >> >heart cries out to this wounded rhino at
kaziranga national park.> >