Dr. Bikash:
I have seen your reaction to the news.
You have noted in the news that the army authorities have apologised for the
incident. Why the matter is still being carried out further? Just some local
leaders who are always in the look out for issued.
There have been aberrations in the behaviour of the military personnel in
dealing with common people, however you will also notice that whenever reported
 they respond very fast. For example all the army rape case cases that have
been proven have been dealt very swiftly by the army, while  in majority of the
cases the allegations were proved to be false too. You may compare their
response to the cases where politicians have misbehaved with officials or
common public and have gone scot free. Also Govt officials have never been held
to account. What happened to the Chief Election Commissioner of Assam who
extorted in public Rs. 5000 from the local unit of Spastic Society?
Few years back, Father Thomas of Donbosco was put into great embarrassment by
the army and it made headlines. I wrote a very strong letter to the Divisional
Commander at Rangiya and he rang me up and apart from feeling sorry he also
told me how that action was necessary at that particular moment and it helped
in carrying out certain operations.
There are definitely black sheep and many army personnel have taken advantage
of the situations prevailing. However, when reported, it is not easy for them
to hide and enquiries have to be carried out. But most complaints against
security forces'  atrocities are motivated by interested persons. If you
remember the Kakopathar incident a few years ago, where the CRPF was involved,
it was the poor ignorant village folks who were instigated by some self
appointed leaders who later on scooted when the goings started becoming tough,
leaving the poor villagers leaderless.
At the same time, there is a need for reorienting the Defence forces' outlook
which is trained basically to deal with the enemy, not own people. Greater
sensitisation and training is required before they are deployed for such CI and
internal security duties. This has been a failure on their part. Also Army PR
is very poor, it is abysmal.
My son served for six months in CI operations in Assam and his tales were
astounding. Their intelligence system often are better and whenever they try to
raid a suspicious agency, the agencies raise a hue and cry about atrocities to
divert attention. I will not be surprised if the Don Bosco in Sonari is not
exactly confining itself to pious endeavours only.
When I visited the area where my son had served, I found the villagers were
adamant that the army  should NOT move out. They were singing nothing but
praise of the army and were expressing distrust of the civilian administration
thoroughly.
There are two sides to every thing. There needs to be a lot more to be done. Do
we really have the will to solve our problems and face the basic issue which
has forced the defenders of our borders to operate inside our own heartland.
Regards and best wiahses.

Shantikam Hazarika
Director,
Assam Institute of Management