*** Was it hard to foresee?

cm

Gurgaon in gloom, battling a power crisis
4 Mar 2008, 1802 hrs IST,Dipak Kumar Dash,TNN
   Print         Save    EMail   Write to Editor
Gurgaon, the fading dream of a Millennium City, is battling a power
crisis that has seen power cuts up to 12 hours in winter. And now
with summer on us, there is a mad scramble for inverters and
generators, an expensive proposition besides being unfriendly to the
environment.

Sixty-two-year-old Vijay Malhotra, a resident of DLF Phase-IV, says
living in Gurgaon is a big drain on resources. "We had to buy a
generator just a week back - I invested Rs 3 lakh," he says. "That's
a huge investment besides the cost of operating it daily. Besides, I
still pay a huge electricity bill. The crisis became so acute last
year that my daughter-in-law had to shift to Delhi. I hold the
government responsible."

Most residents of Gurgaon had moved for a better quality of life.
They now feel cheated. And what rankles most is the fact the crisis
is entirely man-made. That's the grime below the glitter. Developers
have been issued licences at random and even the severe power crunch
has not deterred the government from mocking the people by clearing a
master plan to enlarge Gurgaon to three times its present size. Most
plans for setting up plants have a 2009-2010 deadline and hold little
hope for those who are now cursing the day they moved to Gurgaon.

There is going to be more growth without infrastructure till the city
bloats to a point of collapse, people say. And officials are aware of
this. They have thrown up their hands after pointing out that the
demand for power in Gurgaon is increasing by 28% and availability is
much less than requirement.

"The combined electricity requirement of Gurgaon and Faridabad is
equivalent to the total power demand of Himachal Pradesh and meeting
that demand is a huge task," says Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitaran Nigam
(DHBVN) managing director Vijayendra Kumar. "We are hopeful of
getting at least 500 MW for entire Haryana in the next three months
from the Yamuna Nagar plant. That additional supply will bring some
relief to urban areas."

"The major cause of the crisis is non-availability of power. The
present demand of Gurgaon is 1.2 crore units a day and we get only 75
lakh units," explains superintending engineer A K Jain of the Nigam.
"Additional supply from Yamuna Nagar should bring some relief."

Haryana has about 4,068 MW of power available daily of which it
generates only 1,587 MW. The state wants to generate an additional
5,000 MW daily by 2010 but that's three years away. In the first
phase, a 300-MW capacity unit has become operational in Yamuna Nagar
and a second unit of same capacity will be synchronised this month.
How this power is distributed remains to be seen with many political
and farm lobbies at work.

About 1,200 MW will be made available from the Hissar thermal power
plant. The first unit of 600 MW will be operational in December 2009
and the second in March 2010. The state will also get 750 MW from the
upcoming 1500 MW Aravali plant in Jhajjar. The three units - each of
500 MW - are scheduled to be completed in April, June and August of
2010.

So, there is no immediate relief in sight and all hopes for now are
pinned on the supply from the Yamuna Nagar plant. Official estimates
show that during non-peak hours Gurgaon's power demand is 450 MW
while during peak hours it's about 550 MW. At any given time, the
power supply falls short by at least 100 MW.

In the neighbouring capital of Delhi, there are only two categories
of power consumers - domestic and non-domestic (commercial and
industrial). But in Gurgaon, there are three - agricultural, domestic
and non-domestic. The agriculture sector consumes 20-25% of the power
available, domestic consumers get a 40% share and non-domestic
consumers another 40%.

Consumers have learnt the hard way not to trust officials. "We had a
tough time even during the winter and then they had said that only
winter rain could bring some relief. They will come up with some
other excuse to pass the buck. Actually, they are clueless and don't
know how to deal with the situation," says B S Tripathy, a resident
of Sector-23. ==