>Like the Houston desi-enclave ( I am not sure what it is called), or
>Devon Street area of Chicago, or Jackson Heights in NY.  Are they
>particularly unkempt, with trash strewn around for example?

In Houston, we have the Harwin/Hilcroft area. The area (at one time) had a
drap look. But today, modern shopping centers, and mini malls have been
built (all by desis), and attracts shoppers from many parts of Texas (not
just desis though).

I remember, some years ago, there were several paan dukanis (paan shops)
there, and desi paan chewers would spit (peek pelai) the paan crud around
the shop. The city health dept. couldn't figure out all the 'blood' around
the place... when they did, they gave a stiff warning to the paan dukani. It
doesn't happen now.

The Houston desi population is still small compared to Southhall (London)
and so it has managed to keep clean even in areas where there are higher
concentrations..

--Ram