Flowers of  "Bottle Brush"- a decorative bush introduced into Assam Around
1950-- not from Indian Subcontinent.We have a big "Bottle Brush" bush at the
entrance to our ancestral home  at Namti. I remember bringing that
sapling+Mahogany ones from a Banamahotsav at Sivsagar in 1980
mm> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:41:26 -0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
assam@assamnet.org> Subject: Re: [Assam] AT Photo- A Quiz: Chutiya Xalika> >
Looks like the bird's genus and name are now known. I am not too sure if the
flower has been identified quite definitely yet. I do remember seeing flowers
like in the photo that we used to call Modar. Aren't there different varieties
of Modar?> Dilip> ==========================================================> >
Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> Thanks Bikash for reminding us of the
Sutiya Xaalika name. Back at > Namti we called it that as well--completely
forgot about it.> > > > > > > > > > > At 3:15 AM +0100 3/30/08, DR BIKASH KUMAR
DAS wrote:> >Haaa... Dada This is known in Darrang and Kamrup as CHUTIYA
SHALIKA > >/XALIKA ( Chutiya Shalka).They are the direct version of original >
>Indian Mynah all because they call talk like you and me. I had one > >before
leaving for Military.She used to talk and if I run will fly > >behind me and
sit on my shoulders... now when I saw this- I only > >tear for her..She was
with us for long and will sit in front of us > >always like a part of family
and look at us.Here also I tried to > >keep one, but died due to some food
poison.Its too painful to miss > >them.So no more birds to sit on my
shoulders..> > This bird is very humanly and available in Bangalore also.But >
>here people are not like we Axomiya !! Forget about bird, they dnt > >know the
next home.> > Hope al doubt is clear now-> > Bikash> >> >Chan Mahanta
wrote:excellent Chitta! And > >thanks for sharing the autherntic Oxomiya>
>name, Kath Xaalika.Incidentally the widespread , lowly Xaalika Sorai > >is a
Mynah too. It is called Common Indian Mynah.> >> >> >> > >