Dear Dil, Dilip & Chan:

It was real nice to see those Assamese plants growing so well in Texas.  I
just hope their US
visa status is up to date!!

Believe it or not I was able to smuggle in and then grow Kath Alu in good
old NJ!  That is the
good news.  The bad news is that it never did come back the next year.

Two winters ago I brought a Kath Alu from my parents house in Assam to NJ
in mid-winter.  I planted it
indoors in a pot and left it in a sunny place.  It took almost two months
for the plant to peek out from
under the soil.  Then it grew and grew.  Well, it was too cold outside to
plant so I started giving it very little
water and kept it in a less sunny location.  Then in mid-May with much
fanfare we planted the
very first Kath Alu in NJ.  Of course we had to protect it from the ever
present deer population!  Also,
we had to use strings to attach the plant to its foreign partner - the pine
tree.  But unfortunately, once
outside the Kath Alu did not grow as vigorously as it did indoors.  At the
end of that summer I did not
dig it out thinking may be it will resurface next spring (i.e., in
2007).  Well, it did not!  But I plan to
patiently wait for it this spring.  If it does not sprout by June end then I
plan to dig it out and do some
detective work as to what happened.  Will keep you all posted on my Kath Alu
adventure
in NJ!  Incidentally, over the years I have done quite a bit of reverse
transplanting.  My parents are
really igrowing flowers and vegetables (they even grow garlic, rohor dail,
etc.).  They have been quite
successful in growing many vegetables I took from here including lima beans,
zuchini, brocolli,
Chinese snow peas, Chinese Bok Choy, Chinese winter melon, Chinese white
gourd, etc.  It seems
seed packets from Chinese groceries do quite well in Assam!

Oh well, I can go on and on but happy gardening to all....enjoyed those
pics!
Aradhana B. Satin