Dear M-da

This data was mined from the net. In any case its not very important, how
many died then. Most important  is how many are going to die trapped
underneath the rubbles, agonizingly waiting for rescues to come.

Most of the stilted buildings are great recipes for disaster during
earthquakes. I attended a seminar recently on earthquake damage mitigation.
Providing shear walls in stilted high rises can mitigate the disaster to
some extent.

Builders take out their money and move onto the next project. Its for the
residents to think and see whether the flats they are living  in are abodes
or death traps. Ultimate price will be paid by them in case of any calamity,
which I think is bound to happen; at 8.5 plus Richter, not many concrete
structures are known to stand in one piece.

You are right, after the 1897 quake, British devised the *ikra *cement
plastered  wooden gridded structure; we still have such walls in my
ancestral house at Bordoloni and they lasted for more than half a century. I
think if must we go vertical, at least walls can be made of stuff which does
not form bubbles during an earthquake. Buildings will be gone but life can
be saved in case of a disaster.

God save our people!

-mkd