M-da

Just forgot to add...regarding the fatalities of 1950 earthquake.!

As a result of the great earth quake, a hill broke and blocked the river
Subansiri creating an artificial lake at the current dam site. The lake gave
away after 10 days, I think. It rolled down causing a flash flood in our
area, (gogamukh an dbordoloni).. its referred to as the 'boliya pani' of
1950s.. my grand father told me how he saved his family of 12 children
making a raft of 'bhimkol' quickly and tying it to a huge banyan tree..some
15 missing (miri) villages downstream were washed away and toll must have
been huge.

There is an eye witness to this sordid saga. *Dr Lakhi Chintey of Shillong*,
whose mother and infant sister were washed away before his eyes. He narrated
me the incident with tearful eyes, that night still haunts him. That time
media was not what it is today, and these deaths must have gone unreported.

-mkd