Gini Index (of inequality - higher score more inequality) shows that USA
(40.8) is far more unequal than India (36.8) , Canada (32), China (46), Chile
(56), Brazil (50), Sierra Leone (62.9)  Namibia (74), Panama (56.1), Haiti
(59.2), Argentina (51)

http://earthtrends.wri.org/text/economics-business/variable-353.html

I had searched for this index when I reached Canada in 2006 and saw people
excited about Canada's supposed equality (just as much better than India's [4
points] than India is better than the USA)

It seems looking thru colored lenses  people, who are used to seeing the more
unequal nations in Africa and South America and the Carribean, (in Hollywood
movies like Blood Diamond [showing Sierra Leone] or Evita [about Argentinian
First Lady].

I wonder the author does anything besides writing articles. I wonder if she has
ever stayed in a slum . I have stayed in Gurgaon for sometime, even stayed in
an Old Delhi area which might qualify for a slum.  Some of us (in the US etc)
might recall days without electricity when growing up in small towns in India.

I recall an itinerary of a World Bank official on an official trip to India
(about 2-3 weeks). In Mumbai he would (he is there already) stay in the grand
Taj Mahal Hotel (Rs11,000 per night or $270) , in Delhi he would stay in Maurya
Sheraton (Rs 9,500 per night or $190) , in Jaipur at Rajputana Sheraton
(Rs5,000 or $125 at summer discount rate) etc etc -- why noone writes about
these five star charity workers from Washington DC?  Why do they need to stay
in these five stars? Why cannot they stay with the poor in the slums?

Umesh

Rajen & Ajanta Barua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   >Slowly but surely, India's
middle class is also growing in number due to free enterprise.

  My guess on the Indian population analysis is like this:
  35% Below Poverty Line
  30% Poor
  20% Lower Middle Class
  10% Upper Middle Class
  4%  Rich
  1% Super Rich

  Sorry I did not know what was the topic, but should be based on above unless
somebody criticise me and come up with a better analysis.
  Let us now talk positive.
  Barua