Hi C'da:

I think generally people do like to hear first-hand information from people of
a particular state, inspite of all the information from the media and other
sources.

Reading the doctor's post, there does seem to be a dash of condescension
(spelling?), when he mentioned "offering education and jobs" (as if the people
in these states are running around with jobless and uneducated).

Of course, that may be because that is how the outside media portrays the
northeast and how people percieve it - without ever seeing Assam and the NE.

But some of the questions and suggestions were genuine from a potential
visitor's standpoint.

We are visiting KodaiKanal in a day or so, doing research on the net, but still
asking people who have visited the place. We know the language, we have
information from the net, yet it's comfortable to hear first-hand.

Regarding the issue of violence the doctor brought, that is a genuine concern.
Even from Guwahati, people seem concerned about visiting some interior places
within Assam iteself. Why is that?

I know many Kharkhowas do not advertize their visits to Assam. They go quietly
and come back. Why is that?

So, I think the doctor was a tad more condescending but you were also
over-sensitive. There was no "welcome mat" thrown. This perception of tourism
and safety is a major issue, whether we like it or not. So, first-hand
information is always the best. When people like the doctor asks, we should be
able to provide reasonable assurances and as much info as we can.

- Alpana
(Camp Bangalore)

“In order to make spiritual progress you must be patient like a tree and humble
like a blade of grass.”