From: Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Assam] Murder Most Foul - Pets
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], assam@assamnet.org
Date: Tuesday, 15 July, 2008, 8:59 PM

Dear Ms. Shukla,

I was agast to read your article "Murder most foul" in the Deccan
Chronicle
(July 15, 2008). Yes, I was agast as to how the poor JNU's campus dog was
bludgeoned to death, but I was more agast of your rather poor knowledge of,
and condescension toward the North Eastern states of India.

It maybe that you perhaps first need an object lesson in geography, possibly
history of India (you know - get to know your country), and not in the
least, a good lesson in humility.

First of all, you ought to know that the North Eastern States comprises of
many other states. In Assam, a North-Eastern State, for example, there are
many vegitarians, as well as non-vegitarians, and the population is mostly
Hindu. Manipur, another North-Eastern state, too is mostly Hindu. Dogs
certainly are not on the menu.

It is unfortunate, that you could not bring yourself to appreciate the
beauty of the landscape of Nagaland. You probably did not find it in your
heart to appreciate and study the culture, the language and customs of the
good people of Nagaland. If I could suggest, you might want to try and read
the volumes of good literature written by the British (many of the
army) on the North-Eastern states during the Raj.

You make some sweeping statements regarding the whole of the North East,
when you declare,

"Apparently North-Eastern students at JNU regularly lynch and barbecue
dogs."

Really! Have you ever met or heard of any Assamese or Manipuri who eats
dogs?  I know, you may think 'they all look alike' and hence your
condescension and then clubbing of all the 'natives' together. The
fact,
however, is the people in the North-Eastern states are as varied and
different as other parts of the country, and so are their food habits. They
come in different hues.
That is what makes India unique, as the country comprises of all hues,
shapes, forms, colors, religions, vegitarians, and non-vegitarians.

And when you write
 "After combing the area, my husband visited the Gaon Burha (village
Pradhan) of the closest Naga settlement and spelt out all sorts of dire
consequences if the dog did not return. Twenty minutes later, Bindu was
safely home."

Wow! isn't that something? Your husband showed them, didn't he? Your
army
husband brought down the full weight and force of the whole Indian army on
the Gaon Burha and threatened the poor guy with "dire consequences".
One wonders, with all this condescension raining down on the poor chap, what
those threats might have been?
Beat up the natives? Burn down their silly hutments? Kill, rape and plunder
their sordid villages? What?

Ms. Shukla, what you and your husband may not know is that the Indian Army
is NOT yours or your husband's personal army. The Army has a role, and
hopefully that role does NOT consist of rescuing irish setters of some army
officer. Your very tone suggests of condescension and of 'dealing with the
natives'. At the very least you might want to get off that high horse and
descend the mighty steps of Indraprastha.

 Just like many people, we too love our pets and would prefer that animals
not be ill-treated. Your concern for the pet dogs of JNU is admirable.
Every time we visit India, we often see animals either uncared for, or being
ill-treated. All sorts of animals from domestic cows, and horses to mongrels
are let loose and are not cared for.

Therefore when you write about Nagas (and all of the North-East) eating
dogs, one tends to think about all those other animals being eaten by
non-vegitarians? How do you think vegitarians feel about the slaughtering of
these animals and how they are slaughtered? How do you explain that away to
hard-core vegitarians in India?  How do you feel about the slaughter of
goats and buffaloes in the name of animal sacrifice in many Kali and Durga
Temples across India? Where really are your sensitivities? Do you protest as
vehemently and with such venom?

I would like you and your kind readers to also note this. The past so many
years, there has been a tendency, specially in Delhi, to view young women
from the North East as "easy". There have been a number of cases of
rape and
molestation of these women, and if I am not mistaken even at JNU. These
cases were not so much because the victims were women, but more so because
they belonged to the North-Eastern States.

In fact, after one of these cases, a high-ranking police official in Delhi
was quoted saying something like, "These North-Eastern girls should dress
properly - then these things would not happen".  This is the same reason
why
women from the West are periodically molested and raped in Delhi and other
places - they are though of as being "easy" and dressing
provocativingly.

Then there are pre-conceived notions held by sections of people in Delhi and
other places that the North-Eastern states are "foreign" and their
people
from China or some other place - obviously because how some of them look.

Add articles like yours to such pre-concieved notions and then imagine what
the people of the North-East are likely to feel. And then good people in the
rest of the country keep wondering why on earth do the people of the
North-East feel alienated from the rest of country?

Perhaps you and others would be kind enough to educate this section uncouth
and uneducated Delhites and other places that the people of the
North-Eastern states are also Indians. That some look different and are as
different as people from Kerela and UP, and that their customs and languages
are different as others, and lastly they are as much (or as
less)sophisticated and educated as people in the rest of India.

Lastly, regarding the punishment you recommend for Mr. Yoronso. First off,
what are the laws regarding animal cruelty in India? Is it a crime to eat
dogs? Is the law strictly applied? How is the slaughtering of a goat (by
slitting its throat, half-way) any different? Have you goaded others to
prosecute all such butchers in India?

And then, what has Mr. Yoronso's Phd to do with this case? Why would you
take away his Phd? Does the crime, if any, fit the punishment you recommend?

Bottom line, Ms. Shukla, your article hurts a lot of people, and you don't
do the country any favors. But, I have a lot of confidence in the Deccan
Chronicle's readership. They will, I am sure, give your article the
attention it deserves and understand the gist of my protest here.

I sincerely hope the Deccan Chronicle will publish this strong objection.

Sincerely & with best wishes,

Ram  Sarangapani
Texas, USA

      Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! group
at http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/