Dear Chandan Da,

At first, let me make it clear that I can only try to understand your
disapproval of KJD's circulation of the letter.

But, let me tell you this. In Assam, there are so many demands for secession,
separate states, autonomous councils, districts that without of course
seriously going into the causes and merits of such demands, it has become a
kind of a joke amongst the people. While indulging in such jokes, caution is
thrown to the winds, because, it is a kind of release in the form of NIRMAL
ANAND! And perhaps some amount of levity is a part of life anyway: like I
stated that I tend to enjoy a nonsensical Bond movie at times when I feel not
inclined to think. Further, that letter, I may assure you, would let you feel
the different beats prevalent in Assam's society. It cannot be merely wished
away, this sense of exasperation. And sometimes, due to long association, we
feel that we can share some trivia within a group.

The biggest folly of people, who believe that future history can be moulded in
a given way, has been that they allow dissemination of only such opinions,
culture, literarture etc. that they consider would be suitable for the
development of the society in a given way.

Moreover, it has been the opinion of some thinkers of the post-modern era that
all actions of a man may not be coherent. It was probably one of the
living conscience keepers of Assam ( I suppose it was him in some sort of a
meeting, but where I have forgotten) who gave an amusing illustration. He said
that suppose a respectable person riding a bicycle feels inspired and suddenly
begins hooting; that may not have any reason, if the post-modernist are to be
believed.!

I am writing this, so that you do not come down heavily on me, whenever I slip
from rational behaviour, which I am quite prone to:-)

Uttam Kumar Borthakur
Chan Mahanta cmahanta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 07:59:30 IST 2010