C'da,

Fairly good assessment. Nevertheless a couple of issues, which you brought
up may need some delibration:

>Under the circumstances, it is not only FAIR, it is the RIGHT thing to
RECOGNIZE and give adequate consideration and weightage, in ADDITION >to the
merit measured by test entrance scores, so that educationally less
advantaged students from regions like Assam and elsewhere get a >FAIR shot
at entering these  premier institutions, supported by ALL of India.

Leveling the playing field is, on the face of it, a very sound policy. I
think the problem though comes in this hydra-headed monster called
'reservations'.

The basic principles are from the heart, and of sound economic and
development policy - a rising tide raises all boats principle. Today, many
aspiring candidate wants to get on this gravy train, so different groups
demand that they be classified  under the 6th Schedule in some 'advantaged'
category.

I think the IITs reserve something like 50% for SC & ST , and 3% for
physically handicapped candidates. I am sure there are others like children
of ex-servicemen (ex military) are others. Now, if states also demand a
quota - which states should be given this benefit? And at what rate or
rates?

It also seems the IITs not only have lower standards for some categories,
but if they (candidates) still don't make the cut, the standards are lowered
further, and then selected candidates are given a prep courses for a year,
and then admitted.  There may well be other standards.

During our time, I know a number of my friends went to different big schools
in Bombay, Delhi, Madras. And a number of them secured admission from the
'Assam quota'. I am not sure if these still exist. But needless to say, most
of these kids who did get in thru a state quota, either knew someone at
Dispur or had connections within Assam.

On top of all this is this news that the IITs cannot always fill up. Some of
the seats in SC/ST cannot be released to other categories, but rolled over,
or alternatives the IITs cannot find the 'qualified candidates'.

http://www.studyplaces.com/blog/not-enough-qualified-students-fill-reserved-seats-1-100-iit-quota-seats-lie-vacant

Reservations are good in principle, but in India these things have a way of
doing more harm than good.

The other issue, which you brought up:

>*  Admit only those who can demonstrate engineering aptitude for the field
they opt for, in addition to the merit measured by test scores.
>          Others can always go to  institutions better suited for their
personal needs, thus making room for the truly technically oriented. In
spite of

Well, this is from the TOI, today (see link below.
"Aptitude test to replace prelims in civil services exam"
Read more: Aptitude test to replace prelims in civil services exam - India -
The Times of
India<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Aptitude-test-to-replace-prelims-in-civil-services-exam/articleshow/6439791.cms#ixzz0xjszDiJw>
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Aptitude-test-to-replace-prelims-in-civil-services-exam/articleshow/6439791.cms#ixzz0xjszDiJw

Not sure if this applies to IITs - but the see to have read your message :-)