Mahanta Da,

                In the last response, you had stated that owners/ builders of
the Mega Dam are not concerned about a monster dam being felled by an
earth-quake, because, the owner is Indian Government and it is not concerned
about it, as the money spent is only paper-currency. I have not been able to
buy the argument, because, it does not make any economic sense. None would
invest in India if the paper currency has no worth. In fact the balance of
payment situation has led to currency baiting at Seoul and the US has passed a
bill to impose countervailing duty on imports from economies such as China and
India as they have not allowed appreciation of their currencies in detriment to
the US industries.

If your contention were true, Indian government would then spend such huge
amounts for the welfare of all people with the same zeal in order to get over
the growing discontent , as displayed by  the fissiparous tendencies all
around. What the Indian government works for is only in the interest of crony
capitalism which has even been underscored by a member of the ruling class
namely L K Advani, when he stated that corporate houses determine who would be
what in the government.

 I think what one of my friends wrote to me sounds sensible: that there is no
earlier example of a washout of a dam, though many people (2 lakhs perhaps)
lost their lives in China in 2008. There were only damages to the dams. So,
this history may have inspired the Indian Government and its cronies and the
international investors and also the insurers to throw caution to the winds in
so far as the fate of the people is concerned. Damages may be cured;
electricity generation is a must for the corporate houses, big business and
extraction of alumina from third largest reserve of bauxite from Maoist
dominated Central India. To hell with lives of petty people that are only
required during elections; and that can be taken care of in due course, as one
or the other representative of the corporate houses will only rule India.

And I do not understand your bias in favour of China. As a race I too would not
demean the Chinese as I would not cast aspersion on my own, but the
military-industrial-one-party-bureaucratic complex or system in place in China
would surely act for the interest of it own cronies, as evident from its dirty
fuel consumption and the havoc already played by its monster dams in more than
one occasion on its own people.

And the common madness displayed by both China and India in tampering with
nature is no madness at all. It is the myopia of capitalism that can see only
the immediate: in the short run.

Uttam Kumar Borthakur

I do not think China is in a mad race  TO HARNESS Electricity from the Tsang-Po
-- because as you all know  P  is a multiple of Q.H :
P=Megawatt    Q = Flow through the Turbine  in Cubic metre per second. H=Head
in Metre   between inlet and outlet of Turbine.
Where is the Q in Tibet?  Except melting snow-and nothing called Monsoon?
India is in a  race-  and it is mad . Poor PLANNERS do  not know Who
Planned-Why Planned -What for -What will come off  these dams.

mm