If I may butt in.

The other day, Mukul da forwarded a NYT column about Hindus polluting the
rivers in Queens. That column made some very interesting reading, and that
these Hindus
have started polluting the waters by using it for religious rites, and even
even throwing coconut shells, and other garbage in the river.

It then struck me.... here in the US the 'governance' is what many Indians
would aspire for, and yet SOME of these Hindus break all rules and 'muddy
the waters', so to speak.
So whom do we fault - the imported Hindus or the governance in Queens?

In India's case, corruption  requires at least two parties:  bad governance
on one side, but you also need a easily swayed population that seems to have
willingly taken part all these decades.

It is a well-known fact, that the most sought-after jobs are sales tax
inspectors, supply inspectors, DTO, ministers, forest rangers,
contractors... a long list of jobs with low salaries, but high monetary
rewards.

The question is why are these jobs sought by huge sections of the population
instead of running away from such positions?

Uttam brings out a good point..... basically that when temptations are so
high, and those that don't join in tend to lose a whole lot.
That is true in some cases, but in others, we see a population that is both
eager and willing to join in.

People are not being dragged kicking & screaming into becoming supply
inspectors or sales tax crooks - people actively seeking such positions
because they really want rake in the money.
There are willing business people who are willing to bribe these equally
willing sales tax/supply inspectors. This is just an example, but everywhere
you look, you can find it.
Everything is NOT lost if one doesn't get that sales tax inspector job, and
no one coerced that inspector to take or initiate the bribe.

In the end, it does takes two to tango.... while the system does certainly
needs improvement, I am not  sure if we can prescribe to replace it.

How will that be done & with what? And who will be in charge of the new
system --- the same people? And what does one do with sections of the
population that loves and thrives on corruption?

On a side note:  I too think Ravan has been given a bad rap.  :-)

--Ram