Kashmir is hardly a tourist haven anymore.
In Goa, there is still a semblance of order. It is not common to recover
automatic weapons, RDX from train, car searches. The other day, RDX
recovered from the Guwahati train had the potential to cause a major
disaster. What right thinking tourist would want to risk their life?

This is from the Aust Govt travel advisory (
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/india )*
North-eastern states of Assam, Nagaland, Tripura and Manipur:* We advise you
to reconsider your need to travel to the north-eastern states of Assam,
Nagaland, Tripura and Manipur. If you do decide to travel to these areas,
you should exercise extreme caution. Armed robbery, kidnapping, extortion
and terrorism occur frequently in these states. Insurgent groups have
attacked civilians and bombed buildings. There is also a risk from insurgent
groups in rural areas of these states.

Public transport, including buses, trains and railways, police stations and
markets have been targeted in terrorist attacks in the north-east, including
in Karbi Angalong and Guwahati, the largest city in Assam. On 8 and 9
November 2010, a series of attacks across Assam killed 23 people, including
at markets and on an inter-district bus. In April 2009, a series of bomb
attacks in Guwahati killed six people and injured over 20. In late October
2008, a series of explosions in Assam, including in Guwahati, killed more
than 70 people and injured hundreds.

Check out the travel advise from the British Govt on NE India

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/india
Foreign travelers do look onto the information their Govt provide on the
websites about the threat perception when visiting other countries.
JS