Yes, the entire water transport service industry should be re-organised
(actually organised) - need

1. an institution with accountable systems,
2. efficient and experienced people (many with knowledge of global water
transport industry or may be educated abroad in such specializations),
3. best of the regulations,
4. Infrastructure - modern jetties (even simple pontoon based), modern
ships, fleet control facilities, proper routes, route maintenance (dredging
etc) system, emergency response system,...........
5. planning and development (staffed with quality people - as on no 2)
6. a system both for passengers and cargo
7. integration with tourism, industries, wholesale business...............

More:

1. Dredging and maintaining a sufficiently wide channel for ships
(developed with efficient planning) can also help solving problems like
bank-erosion and flood to a great extent. And can also help reclaiming a
great amount of fertile land from bed of the Brahmaputra for agriculture
and wildlife...........................(not for BDs).....

2. the entire development has to be subsidy based initially / avoid doing
an unnecessary/ nonsense 'feasibility study' - it is nonsense because
everyone knows that it will not be economically feasible considering the
past and current trends.......ignore past trends; go for 'copying'
successful international models if we are unable to develop something of
our own (obviously!).......go for induced development
models..............we will have to establish something that is completely
different and modern system, which in 10 years should be able to lure
majority of the passengers and cargo from Guwahati to Dibrugarh to high
speed catamarans/ hovercrafts or mid-sized cargo ships from the existing
bus, cars or trains

3. a state of the art port nicely integrated with railway system can be
built close to Dhuburi so that some cargo can be quickly transferred to the
north Indian railway system.....rest should follow the
Brahmaputra.............

Regards
Amitabh Kakoty