Professor Cohen himself addressed the point with his rejoinder, A:

Refusing to classify all terrorist activities under a single head, the
South Asia security expert instead drew a line between "idealistic
terrorism, violent activities against real or perceived injustices, and
criminal terrorism, under which a god cause is used as a cover for criminal
activities."

"However, we have never been able to come to a universal definition of
terrorism, since as Ronald Reagan has said, `one man's terrorist is another
man's freedom-fighter."

If you leave this part out of the pragraph you picked to highlight, then
the meaning is lost. It would be cherry-picking.

But when you put the above two pragraphs back in the basket, then the whole
thing would makes more sense and thus would allow us to weigh the Indian
Govt. policies regrding handling of 'separist groups'.

Weighing the matter thus in perspective, what would YOU conclude about
Indian policies on the matter?

Ultimately it is not what an outside observer might characterize it as,
under the context of diplomatic niceties and duties of guest to the host,
that would make the difference, but how WE do, knowing what we do. Don't
you think?