C'da

>* Why is AASU copying Shiv Sena or even Ranvir
> Sena? One answer is that these Senas have been
>successful in whatever they might have attempted to
> achieve.If they had been failures, they would not be
>emulated. Would they ?

To answer your first question - I would attempt this.
First, AASU may not have actually intended to copy.
And even if they did that itself is not a problem.
I think we are all guilt of emulating others at one
time or another. No sin there.

But your idea that Shiv Sena is/was successful --
thats a huge stretch.
How do you measure success? What are the standards.
The Shiv Sena has had a history of being violent,
parochial,etc. If that is success, for whom is it?
Certainly not for Maharastrians, businesses, and for
the country as a whole.

Now, is that what AASU wants to emulate? The name
itself is no big deal. And we have had some
experiences ourselves (about names, for our yearly
Kharkhowa meets :)).  What matters is the underlying
intent, and the people behind such senas.

If AASA is able to convince us (in the future) all
that this new sena has been good for Assam, its
people, and has also been peaceful, then there may be
a more positive meaning to the word Sena.
The proof is in the pudding.

>* If that is true, then we have to ask first WHY
> these 'senas' were born, and HOW they succeeded,
>partially at least?

Senas can be born for a variety of reasons (of
frustrations). Many a time these are legit. The more
important question to ask is, what approach is this
sena going to take? The violent ULFA way, or a
peaceful, but formidiable force, that can protest
peacefully, and file lawsuits at the same time (state
rights) where necessary as corrrections.

--Ram

=== message truncated ===