And in my not-so-humble opinion, in this case, is
where your usual spin comes in. In the questions you
frame.

It is your opinion that reform is possible ONLY
through a sovereign or autonomous government in Assam.
Not in negotiating or forcing peace. Not in having a
economic plan that can deliver jobs. Not in
regenerating local bureacracy that can administer
well. Not in the way the central government approaches
the problems of the northeast. As things stand today,
that is your opinion, not the absolute truth. That is
the first question that people should be polled on.

This sovereign government thing is not some nebulous
entity. Each such government is symbolized by
people/parties that lead and their agenda. It is not
faceless. It is in these "faces" that people impose
faith or reject. Or the ones that all the well meaning
NRAs will look at and decide whether to go back to
Assam or not. Which is why the second question should
be about going back in situations where alternative
"faces" of the government and their agenda are known.

And that is why the questions need to be framed
differently.

Unless it is yet another acitivity to feel happy about
hearing what one wants to hear. If someone wishes any
such exercise to be an honest one, he or she will take
the pains to make sure the right questions are asked.

Incidentally, most people that I know, from different
parts of India that are going back - and there are
quite a few of my friends and peers from across India
that are - are going back primarily for one reason -
India presents a better economic opportunity at this
point. Many in the IT industry will save more in
absolute dollar terms, have a better quality of life
and stay near their families in India. It is a
no-brainer for them. A few folks I know from Assam are
also going back. They are heading towards Bangalore or
Chennai or Mumbai, not Guwahati. Well, it stands to
reason that if Guwahati were moving forward
economically like these other cities, they might just
as well be heading towards Guwahati. Not because of
the call from Tarun Gogoi or Arabinda Rajkhowa but
perhaps from Azim Premji.

I am sure the businessmen love the ULFA and the idea
of paying double taxes. I am sure the people like
paying extortion money as double taxes and see their
taxes not used for bettering civic life but fill some
coffers in Bangladesh. Perhaps a whole lot of people
are looking forward towards the sovereign government
of ULFA. At this point, frankly the chances of that
happening are perhaps more remote than finding life on
Uranus. Still it is a good point to poll on in
AssamNet:-)

Like I said the question is about a reform-minded (if
you want) sovereign government under ULFA versus a
reform-minded, economically focused government with
peace in Assam and very much connected to India. And
that is where the record of ULFA, their agenda for
governance, their ability to win the war, bring peace
and hold it, their depth and ability in getting Assam
on a good economic plan (and perhaps with India
breathing down their neck) etc will come into
scrutiny.

Are you afraid of the answers here? Or do you want to
do an exercise to hear your own voice?

Oh yes, when you do this poll (and whichever way the
polls are answered), please also remember whatever are
the answers that represents only the NRAs of AssamNet.
Not Assam - it does not even have a normalized sample
of folks from Assam. To get that exhaustive poll, I
refer you back again to that 65% achieved a few years
back in the last general election:-)