Hi Chan,

The question is will India ever dare to do that?

*** Exactly! Beggars usually don't get to be choosers--to put it bluntly. Particularly when the beggar happens to be a tyrant that escaped justice.

But we are missing the real important part of the story, which is, that the USA and other major and mature democracies do not exactly respect Indian democracy very much. And not just that, informed and thinking Indians do not either, whether in India or whether abroad.

As a thinking Indian, Mridul Bhuyan ought to be asking the hard question about the quality of Indian democracy, and not take insult with Modi being insulted, and deservedly so. If Modi is a symbol or made into a symbol of Indian national pride then India deserves every bit it got on this, and more.

Yes, I am also of the same opine that India will never dare to do that atleast in the near future. But I sincerely wish that someday India will be in a position to tell US to mind its own business and not to poke its nose to others toilets. The problem is that being in the debt trap India is in, I doubt if that’ll ever happen.

Regarding Indian democracy, irrespective of others, that you have mentioned, I respect Indian democracy inspite of giving birth to so many Laloos, mulayams, advanis, modis. It will definitely take time to improve upon the things with billions of illiterate people on board, and the damage inflicted upon by the Nehru Dynasty. I have faith in the younger generation. As an proud Indian, I make it a point to cast my vote to help elect the right candidate, unlike many ‘thinking Indians’, who deliberately express their disrespect for Indian Democracy by not casting their votes, enjoying election day as a holiday and thereby help the laloos etc. to win.

The other point about Modi being made a symbol of Indian national pride, I am personally not a modi supporter and will never be able to support BJP’s policies. I belong to a place in Assam called ‘Shivasagar’, where the muslims still use ‘aaiti’, ‘baaiti’, ‘kokaiti’ to call their mothers, sisters & fathers. I have been very very close to some of the members of the muslim community and they are like my family members. But that doesn’t mean that you should take advantage of your religious freedom and intimidate the people in the other side. I am not at all a religious person. I have never been to Ajyodhya and Kashi, but happen to visit Mathura with my parents. I feel disgusted at the disrespect, shown by tyrannical Mughal rulers towards Hindu religion. But that doesn’t mean that you also do the same. When the Christian missionaries convert people taking advantage of their economic condition, we call it religious freedom and if a hindu protest this, he is communal.

I had been in US for long enough to get a fair idea about the country. The difference lies in population, education and the way they look at life. But be aware, India is not far behind.

Anyway, I have tried to express my feelings, hope it doesn’t hurt anybody’s feelings.

Regards

Mridul

>From: Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "mridul bhuyan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>CC: assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
>Subject: Re: [Assam] From the ToI/US denies visa to Modi-some more
>Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:06:55 -0600
>
>At 12:37 PM +0530 3/21/05, mridul bhuyan wrote:
>>The question is will India ever dare to do that?
>
>*** Exactly! Beggars usually don't get to be choosers--to put it
>bluntly. Particularly when the beggar happens to be a tyrant that
>escaped justice.
>

>But we are missing the real important part of the story, which is,
>that the USA and other major and mature democracies do not exactly
>respect Indian democracy very much. And not just that, informed and
>thinking Indians do not either, whether in India or whether abroad.
>

>As a thinking Indian, Mridul Bhuyan ought to be asking the hard
>question about the quality of Indian democracy, and not take insult
>with Modi being insulted, and deservedly so. If Modi is a symbol or
>made into a symbol of Indian national pride then India deserves
>every bit it got on this, and more.
>
>That should be the lesson. Not a misplaced sense of hurt.
>
>*** USA did not do what it did because it is keeping tab on the
>sordid goings on in Indian democracy. USA does not give a hoot about
>who Modi is or what he did. They have their own troubles. There was
>not mention in a major US newspaper about this topic. USA did what
>it did as a RESPONSE to its American-desi
>constituency. Obviously those desis who saw the Modi invitation as
>an affront to their ethnic identity obviously won the day.
>Apparently this controversy has been brewing for sometime. India
>Abroad predicted , with input from their 'sources' that Rice would
>not block Modi's visa. Turned out to be different.
>
>Now if Indian democracy and its commitments to the rule of law and
>its ability to serve the cause of justice commanded a respect from
>the USA, it  would not have done what it did on the Modi case.
>Similarly on the Fernandes strip search case ( even though the
>'strip-search' was a false terminology applied).
>
>Again, does the USA have a bureaucracy dedicated to monitoring the
>quality of desi-democracy? Very unlikely, other than the usual,
>cursory monitoring. But the there are many thoughtful and
>progressive US based desis who do. In this case, THEY made the
>difference.
>

>*** I am not attempting to gloss over or ignore USA'a own
>hypocrisies or the lapses of its own democracy. But they did not go
>seeking a VISA for Rumsfeldt or Wolfowitz, that India might have
>denied, and thus would have retaliated by denying it to Modi. Here,
>again the beggars don't get to be choosers axiom applies,
>particularly when the beggar also happens to be a tyrant. Had he
>been a saint, or even an ordinarily-corrupt-but-not-a-tyrant desi-CM
>of a beggar, there would not have been a problem. Just look at all
> [...]

Send money to India Get a FREE 30 minute India Calling Card.