C'da,

> I noticed you recommended they should be good. That was very thoughtful.
> But since it appears that many of these are more scams, how to stop them
> from ruining it for everyone?

Ish Ram, Hori, Hori. Of course, I still think they are good.
Obviously, like anything else, if there is money to be scammed, it is
likely that one would see these scam artists coming out of the
woodwork.

Does that mean that we throw out all the NGO, to get rid of the bad
ones? I know of one particular NGO, "Pratham" which is supposedly
doing wonders in helping women's issues in India. In fact, there is
one Assamese young lady who is high up in Pratham in N. Delhi.

Now, as far as one knows, its an up and up NGO. But who knows?

>of how a number of kharkhowas were hoping to form NGOs to milk NRA >donations .

Did the NRAs buy into it? I seriously doubt it.

> What is the bottom line now Ram--do we need more NGOs to save desi-
> demokrasy, or just more better NGOs :-)?

NGOs cannot SAVE a democracy, they can only help stregthen the polity.
Good NGOs can do a good job. I still have faith in them.

>From some cursory reading, it seems many NGOs all over (world over)
are scamming people left & right, specially in countries in Africa.
But then, once in while, one hears of great stories like AIDS being
completely eradicated from some African locale where there was no hope
left. That was done by NGOs.

Like demokrasy, NGOs are what people make of it :-)

--Ram