You are welcome Barua. Even though this Dr. Wood may have looked at
Assam in a different light, I was struck by some of the observations
he made:

There are 365 tribes in Assam

A familiar term is "It will be done in due course," or "the Government
has not yet sanctioned the Scheme."

"The pharmacist was from Pakistan. He spoke good English"

Etc.
His comments on Nehru and the situation during the riots is something
to think about.
Obviously, the pharmacist was from Bangladesh (then East Pak).

And then his being stunned that people could kill others because of language.

And then his observation about "it will be done in due course"  --- is
that the impression we tend to give visitors? Is this the same as
"lahe, lahe, " hobo diok" things we discuss here?

Maybe some netter may know of this Dr. He seems to have gotten around
quite a bit.

--Ram