Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Paternalistic government

There may be a point here. Fake democracy means little, particularly when
power lies elsewhere, and the people have neither protection nor a real say in
ordering their lives.

Unfortunately, just like make believe democracy without functioning
institutions to ensure accountability and transparency, a benevolent autocracy
also could become unaccountable in a short period of time.

So it is not a reliable alternative to real democracy with real powers of the
people to order their lives, in freedom, even the it might be very tempting to
opt for it.

Having said that, such an autocracy for a limited period of time might be
necessary for Assam to dig itself out of the mess it is in today, until the
defective or make believe one could be retooled, re-organized, reformed
to function effectively, bottom to top.

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: 2005/05/17 Tue PM 10:28:31 EDT
> To: Assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu
> Subject: [Assam] Paternalistic government

In a state like Assam,where survival is constant struggle for most and where the preservation of the sanctity of human life is a burning issue,would it be inappropiate ( or far-fetched) to install a BENEVOLENT DICTATOR to take the rein of state administration,who will be willing to ensure basic standard of living for all? Would the people of Assam be unhappy with a paternalistic government?

What do you think?

KJD