C'da,

>Fake democracy means little, particularly when
> power lies elsewhere, and the people have neither protection nor a real say in
> ordering their lives.

Whether a democracy is fake or the real thing, depends on whom you
ask. Ask Egypt's Mubarrak, or Jordan's Abdullah, and they will tell
you that they have great democracies functioning. In fact, I have
heard both of them say so and number of times.

Now, ask people in the 'best' democracies in the world, and they will
tell you that they do not. Many in the US will tell you that.

Many Indians (specially some NRAs) and they will tell you India has no
democracy at all.

>a benevolent autocracy  also could become unaccountable in a short
period of time.

Absolutely true.

> Having said that, such an autocracy for a limited period of time might be
> necessary for Assam to dig itself out of the mess it is in today, until the
> defective or make believe one could be retooled, re-organized, reformed
> to function effectively, bottom to top.

Is it? This is like the Bushies saying that there must be a war (a
'just' war to be precise) so that there can be peace.

So, what you are suggesting is that Assam go thru some sort of penance
(agni porikha or test-by-fire) so that it can function properly?

--Ram