>If you want to stop a wave of suicide bombings, the likes of which we are
>seeing in Iraq, it takes a village. I am a big believer that the greatest
>restraint on human behavior is not laws and police, but culture and
>religious authority.

*** That is a very interesting belief. It is a convenient one, now that suicide-
bombings have become the norm in Iraq where none existed and after
thousands of innocents have been slaughtered by US bombs for which no
village nor religious outrage was anywhere to be seen or heard, and
particularly since Iraqis had nothing to do with 9/11. I don't recall
Friedman's
outrage at the killing of Iraqi innocents by US bombing. Where was his faith?
Where was his village of the righteous?

The politics of religion is no different from any other poiltics. Suicide
bombing is an act of desperation against an overwhelming enemy. It is
assymetrical warfare at its most assymetrical.

The expressions of  outrage like Friedman's or those of others who find
common cause with it is selective ast best, and thus will go nowhere, as
history amply illustrates.

> From: Dilip/Dil Deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/05/18 Wed AM 09:42:39 EDT
> To: ASSAMNETCOLORADO <assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu>
> Subject: [Assam] It takes a village?
>
> >From the article below, I quote, "In identifying the problem, though, Mr.
Na'mat also identifies the solution. If you want to stop a wave of suicide
bombings, the likes of which we are seeing in Iraq, it takes a village. I am a
big believer that the greatest restraint on human behavior is not laws and
police, but culture and religious authority. It is what the community, what the
village, deems shameful. That is what restrains people. So how do we get the
Sunni Arab village to delegitimize suicide bombers?"

> Laws and police, or shame on the perpetrators by means of culture? Which
one do you think works better? Does religion (as Friedman says) have any role
in bringing about restraint?
> Dilip
> Outrage and SilenceBy THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
> Published: May 18, 2005
>
> It is hard not to notice two contrasting stories that have run side by side
during the past week. One is the story about the violent protests in the
Muslim world triggered by a report in Newsweek (which the magazine has
now retracted) that U.S. interrogators at Guant?namo Bay desecrated a Koran
by throwing it into a toilet. In Afghanistan alone, at least 16 people were
killed and more than 100 wounded in anti-American rioting that has been
linked to that report. I certainly hope that Newsweek story is incorrect,
because it would be outrageous if U.S. interrogators behaved that way.
>  That said, though, in the same newspapers one can read the latest reports
from Iraq, where Baathist and jihadist suicide bombers have killed 400 Iraqi
Muslims in the past month - most of them Shiite and Kurdish civilians
shopping in markets, walking in funerals, going to mosques or volunteering
to join the police.

> Yet these mass murders - this desecration and dismemberment of real
Muslims by other Muslims - have not prompted a single protest march
anywhere in the Muslim world. And I have not read of a single fatwa issued by
any Muslim cleric outside Iraq condemning these indiscriminate mass
murders of Iraqi Shiites and Kurds by these jihadist suicide bombers, many of
whom, according to a Washington Post report, are coming from Saudi Arabia.

> The Muslim world's silence about the real desecration of Iraqis, coupled
with its outrage over the alleged desecration of a Koran, highlights what we
are up against in trying to stabilize Iraq - as well as the only workable
strategy going forward.

> The challenge we face in Iraq is so steep precisely because the power shift
the U.S. and its allies are trying to engineer there is so profound - in both
religious and political terms.

> Religiously, if you want to know how the Sunni Arab world views a Shiite's
being elected leader of Iraq, for the first time ever, think about how whites
in
Alabama would have felt about a black governor's being installed there in
1920. Some Sunnis do not think Shiites are authentic Muslims, and are
indifferent to their brutalization.

> At the same time, politically speaking, some Arab regimes prefer to see the
pot boiling in Iraq so the democratization process can never spread to their
countries. That's why their official newspapers rarely describe the murders of
civilians in Iraq as a massacre or acts of terror. Such crimes are usually
sanitized as "resistance" to occupation.

> Salama Na'mat, the Washington bureau chief for the London-based Arabic
daily Al Hayat, wrote the other day: "What is the responsibility of the [Arab]
regimes and the official and semiofficial media in the countries bordering Iraq
in legitimizing the operations that murder Iraqis? ... Isn't their goal to
thwart
[the emergence of] the newborn democracy in Iraq so that it won't spread in
the region?" (Translation by Memri.)

> In identifying the problem, though, Mr. Na'mat also identifies the solution.
If you want to stop a wave of suicide bombings, the likes of which we are
seeing in Iraq, it takes a village. I am a big believer that the greatest
restraint
on human behavior is not laws and police, but culture and religious authority.
It is what the community, what the village, deems shameful. That is what
restrains people. So how do we get the Sunni Arab village to delegitimize
suicide bombers?

> Inside Iraq, obviously, credible Sunnis have to be brought into the political
process and constitution-drafting, as long as they do not have blood on their
hands from Saddam's days. And outside Iraq, the Bush team needs to be
forcefully demanding that Saudi Arabia and other key Arab allies use their
media, government and religious systems to denounce and delegitimize the
despicable murder of Muslims by Muslims in Iraq.

> If the Arab world, its media and its spiritual leaders, came out and
forcefully and repeatedly condemned those who mount these suicide attacks,
and if credible Sunnis were given their fair share in the Iraqi government, I
am
certain a lot of this suicide bombing would stop, as happened with the
Palestinians. Iraqi Sunnis would pass on the intelligence needed to prevent
these attacks, and they would deny the suicide bombers the safe houses they
need to succeed.

> That is the only way it stops, because we don't know who is who. It takes
the village - and right now the Sunni Arab village needs to be pressured and
induced to restrain those among them who are engaging in these suicidal
murders of innocents.