Some Personal Thoughts:

Sitting in the American Armchair, we can very comfortably detach ourselves from the reality in India and talk endlessly about Singapore model, Taiwan Model or South Korean model and all the models in the world for future of India.  However in doing so we run two risks. First, we may, in the process we may completely miss the forest because of the trees. Second, we can escape from reality because we don't have to do anything other than theoretical discussion.

If there is one person in Asia for whom I feel pride as an Asian, he is Dalai Lama. I draw immense spirit and wisdom out of his each and every word. The other day I was reading a book by Thich Nhat Hanh, another Asian, for whom I feel proud as an Asian. The book, 'Peace in Every Step'  itself was very spiritual. And to my spiritual gratification, I found that the Foreword to the book was written by none other than Dalai lama himself. I was moved by the Foreword.

Dalai Lama started with the following sentence:
"Although attempting to bring about world peace through the internal transformation of individuals is difficult, it is the only way....."

In another context and in another book, Dalai Lama wrote about peace, freedom and world order and right type of government:

He said, in a government,
We may have Order without Freedom
Or we may have Freedom without Order
What we really need is Freedom with Order.

While discussing about India, we may keep the above in mind. I donot know about others, but if I am forced to choose out of the 1st or 2nd of the above till we achieve the 3rd, I will always invariably choose the 2nd ie Freedom without Order, which is what we may consider India today at its worst.

Rajen Barua.