Title: Re: [Assam] Another One from Tehelka
Ram:

>Every state should have a vigilance division.

*** Not a bad idea.

Let us see how it might work:

        1. The gods of development -GoD-( we will come to that later),
        decides  that a project should be on, and the Tehelka described
        process begins.

        2. After the split of the funds, it becomes apparent that a scam
        has taken place. So the Vigilance Commission is activated.

        3. VC -- without any legal authority , cannot subpoena documents,
        cannot take depositions under oath, cannot force anyone to testify.
        Lacking teeth, they talk to the people involved. Guess a lot.
        Decides that a scam has indeed taken place.

        4. Now what? Can they send the Contractor to prison? Can they
        dismiss the IAS-type from his lifelong appointment? Can they
        force the minister involved to return his part of the loot?  Can
        they even name the involved publicly -- for the purpose of shaming
        them, without facing a lawsuit for defamation?

I could be wrong on the details here ands there, but substantially it will be like the above, won't it?

So what we are proposing is a replacement for a DEFUNCT and DYSFUNCTIONAL justice system--an essential component of democratic governance, with a VC without any teeth.

Why?

Obviously because we know that if it goes thru the court-of-law route, it probably won't even get a hearing in a life-time.( BTW, what is the status of the Assam Govt. charge-sheeting  dozens of IAS types and politicians on the LoC scam? Remember the AT report you forwarded? Is it moving along on track?)

It is like this move these days ( and it is NOT even in Assam) to have the freedom to vote for NONE among a slate of candidates in an election, as an antidote for having to vote and select someone from among a slate of criminals
or fools. This also implies that the Govt. has cornered the right of the citizen NOT to VOTE. Does this sound right to you? If there is truth, it would be a whole lot worse than Singapore's PLP :-).

Anyway, Ram, do you see what I am getting at?

There is no alternative to depending upon FUNCTIONING institutions of governance. If they don't function, they must be changed, they must be reformed and made to work again.

But here is a much bigger problem as well. I will get to that in a while. Just so  I don't forget, or get sidetracked--there are so many distractions to attend to :-), please remind me to address the BIGGER PROBLEM or the BP.

c-da

At 7:21 PM -0500 5/20/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da

> How do you propose doing it? Conceptually that is. I don't expect you
> to write up laws or actual procedures for implementation, unlike some
> of you expect me to do for example :-).

If such scams are rampant in the NE, then obviously we have the fox
guarding the hen house.

I am no constitutional/law expert in producing a treatse, but here is a try:
Every state should have a vigilance division. If these divisions were
NOT corrupt, then we wouldn't be faced by such situations is the first
place. The Assam Sales Tax is one such place. The place is rife with
corrupt tax inspectors, who have looted (in crores of RS.) the state
treasure, over many generations.

The ministers, unscruplous businesses and bureaucrats must be
hand-in-glove in these scams.
To clean house, the outrage must come from the people. Just like the
outrage against illegal B'deshis, where a group of citizens are taking
it among themslves to do so, so too must citizens expose these scam
artists in the garbs of ministers or breaucrats. The media can help
expose.

If there is a will, and people want to call  these miscreants to
carpet, it can be done. If all we can do is immerse ourselves in self
pity, and wait for the Center to 'tell us not to scam' then we
shouldn't worry at all.

If its a generational thing these scams, how is it that the good
people reelect these people again and again? Whats wrong with the
picture here?

--Ram