Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Re: Assam Digest, Vol 21, Issue 64

At 9:47 AM -0500 6/10/05, Rajen Barua wrote:
> I have always wondered if Assam started at the same starting line
> with TN or Andhra

If we consider it as a contest,

*** If it is a contest, then why does not Assam have controls over its resources?

And why does it have to be a contest?

Why do we complain if someone compares India with Singapore or the USA ?

For instance, if we started with say 50 years lag behind Gujarat in 1947, the kharkhwas should not complian if the present lag is 50 years or less.

*** Why not? Who had the right to sell off Assam's resources to Gujaratis and Marwaris at throwaway prices?

may be we should  use a more user friendly set of yard sticks. May be instead of distance travelled (by a State), we should use terms like say 'speed' etc so that we will know if we are maintaining the same lag that we started with. For instance, if we started with say 50 years lag behind Gujarat in 1947, the kharkhwas should not complian if the present lag is 50 years or less. However if we find that we are lagging today say 75 years behind Gujarat, then will be legitimate for the kharkhwas to complain and cry, and we will know that we need to speed up.

The other option is to use an absolute scale for progress just listing what we need and why, and trying to avhieve those.

Rajen