>After the NCW stepped in, the hue and cry got a little
more "huer and cryer".

*** I am sure every bit helps. I would not attempt to take anything constructive contributed by NWC away from them. All powr to them actually.

However, what we have seen in Manipur was NOT due to NWC's power of
persuasion, nor its influence at Delhi: It was because of the impending meltdown
that outraged Manipuris were bringing to bear on Indian rule.

Furthermore, AFSPA removal from Imphal means little. It is an attempt at 'kona haanhok potaan dhan diya'.

The Government of Manmohan Singh set up a committee to
review AFSPA - the committee includes amogst others
such notables as Sanjoy Hazarika. It submitted its

*** That is certainly a welcome move. And I shall believe when I see something meaningful coming out of it.