Just wanted to share this wonderful piece by Ms. Baruah. Those of us
who still have our Dueta/Ma with us, should cherish every moment, and
those that don't, this piece should bring back fond memories.

--Ram

Deuta
Rupanjali Baruah

He lay face up on a bed in one corner of a hospital room. Deuta was
then on an endless trial with pricks of needles while the blood cake
dried on his scalp and his bones ached to rest in his own room. In
fact, he had been preparing to fall asleep for several hours but
something did not let him. It was probably the harsh glare of a bulb
that tugged at his eyelids. He was already on his way inside a dark
aisle that would soon lead him out of the trappings of plaster and
pins to an altar where many fruits were piled on top of the other as
offerings. He tried to pronounce his name, Nagen, the five simple
letters would not come easily to his lips. His lips felt too dry at
the edges, he could do with a sip of cold water if someone would get
him. It was a wise thought but he did not know how he was to put that
into words for others to understand. A red blanket wrapped him, his
hands lay on either side solemnly acknowledging the many wounds of
needles on him. He was unwilling to raise his fingers to point at
something. He sank more and more into solitude where his thoughts were
soon to become too intricate to decipher. He did not understand a word
of what he was saying, only his lips moved awkwardly to indicate that
he was still breathing.

The dates are all false to him, Deuta could be at any time at any
place now. It did not matter to him. He lost his calm suddenly in the
early morning and muttered something about a smell of grease in the
air. He had stumbled several steps a day before this had happened to
him. Earlier, it would have mattered to him a lot if he did not get a
matter straight in good time. Now time came in between to distance him
from the rest of us. He wore a solemn look on the face that had once
resonated with details of beautiful memories. Now we stood around to
gather the last remnants of that past from his feeble ramblings, those
memories now have different place names for him. His uncertain days
were then struggling with the snares of earth.

A few weeks before we could not take him out of the confinements of
his bed, he loved to remain there almost the whole of a day, and night
had seemed to him the best part because no one would then ask him to
stay awake. And he would refuse to get out of his pale pair of pyjamas
since they fell softly on his thin frame. He would turn away from the
dishes of food; he nibbled reluctantly at the single piece of fried
fish or an arrowroot biscuit and would say that he was full already.
Small noises annoyed him much, just as the loud bellow of the cows
downstairs for their midday meal or the irregular cawing of crows
shook him easily out of sleep. He would keep a woolen shawl like a
cowl over his head to keep out some thought that perhaps hovered over
him. He seemed to be pursued by several ghosts of men, long dead and
he would say with a little reproach that some voices bothered him at
regular intervals. Sometimes he would let out a cry of alarm and when
Ma would rush to his side he would ask with tears in his eyes "have
you found them, where are they?" To us it was a mere thought in
passing but it was a different texture of fear that showed as goose
bumps on his skin. Someone had told us that these are ominous signals,
we should be prepared for something though we would not be flattered
by the ingenuity of such a discovery that seemed to stand on the edge
of absurdity. We would rather not know it.

Some nine nights were then left for our leave taking. Though none of
us knew it. Death does not arrive with a siren of warning though some
say that a date is assigned for everybody. Some die without being
aware of it. Some die waiting too long for it, some with
disappointments for leaving behind too many unfinished things. I
wonder if any of these happened to Deuta. His memories left him too
quickly, we became mere strange faces though he seemed quite familiar
when he conversed at length about certain daily happenings. He forgot
to raise a whimper of a complaint when his cup of tea was not too hot
on his lips. His thoughts had drifted, wandering already beyond our
habitation, the ties of affection became unknown things though his
eyes would open hesitatingly looking for the familiar feel of our
hands on him.

The blood looked blue under his skin, I did not wish to think that
very soon it would stop flowing. The only thing I had asked God for
several years since the day I had seen the father of a friend pass
away, that I should predecease my own Deuta to save myself from the
agony of living without him and I had believed that God would listen
and truly concede. A selfish thought may be, but very natural as I now
come to think of it. In spite of my repeated pleas to God, Deuta left
as I stood waiting at the gate for him to return; he returned though
wrapped in a white shroud, I thought it would stifle him. I did not
wish to be told that he would not be breathing. He had left his last
breath so far away in a hospital room.

I have survived one whole year without him. Strange it seems to
believe. He looks at me now and always from two different photographs
in his room that are the remaining semblances of Deuta to me. I often
stagger as I see his room, full of all his other things that stare at
me. This too is so hard to believe. I am yet to arrive at the
beginning of that preparation to believe it.