Although I am very busy & short of time, I couldn't resist myself from commenting on this mail. When I consider myself, I consider myself a human first, an assamese second and so forth. I wonder why should I call myself a human first, a 'kalita' second and an assamese next and so forth ? Is the definition of 'who an assamese is' so difficult to answer. Assam is a state, its not something denoting any caste, creed, race or religion. It is that very place, where I opened my eyes for the first time to see this wonderful world. Why some people find it difficult to call themselves assamese in preference to their cast/creed/race ? Difficult to say. right ? I wonder why????

Mridul Bhuyan

>From: Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Assam <assam@pikespeak.uccs.edu>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [Assam] Who is an Assamese - Assam.org
>Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:57:07 -0500
>
>Hi there Utpal,
>
>That was a pretty good explanation of the sentiments of Bodos or other
>ethinic groups in the NE for purposes of identity.
>
> > For the Bodos of today, establishing a Bodo identity more important than
> > anything else.
>
>I agree.
>
>I only wish that any State, religious, caste, language, or ethinic
>group in India did not have to resort to identifying ourselves.
>
>IMHO While identities have become so important, and in some cases even
>of the very survival of an ethinic group, ultimately most times, I
>think, these identities only cause further divisions whether in a
>state or the country as a whole.
>
>--Ram da
>

>On 6/30/05, Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is Utpal Brahma using his wife's id.
> >
> > I am a half Bodo (father Bodo, Mother Assamese) who is married to an
> > Assamese from Nowgong. And I consider myself to be a human first then a Bodo
> > and then an Assamese - in that order.
> >
> > For the Bodos of today, establishing a Bodo identity more important than
> > anything else. Whether Bodos are Assamese, an interesting question. There
> > are Bodos in North Bengal, Nepal, Bangladesh, Tripura and Myanmar. Would you
> > call a Bodo from Nepal an Assamese ? Or for that matter would a Bodo from
> > Nepal call himself an Assamese ? Not in your wildest dreams !!
> >
> > Would a Bodo like to get classified as Assamese Bodo, Bengali Bodo, Nepali
> > Bodo, Myanmarese Bodo ? You bet not . A Bodo is a Bodo regardless where he
> > comes from and thats the way the Bodos of today would like to see. That is
> > why you see a greater effort by the likes of Bodo Sahitya Sabha , Bodo
> > Thunlai Afat to seek more active participation from Bodos living beyond
> > Assam.
> >
> > While the Bodos should live in harmony  with all communities in Assam and
> > for that matter in Nepal, North Bengal, Tripura and Myanmar, they should be
> > bonded by a Pan Bodo brotherhood. Establishing a separate identity of
> > Assamese Bodo, Bengali Bodo, Burmese Bodo, Tripuri Bodo would further divide
> > a community which has already seen much division in the form of Sonowal,
> > Dimacha, Sarania etc etc. Not to speak of the political fractions.
> >

> > Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Below is quite a detailed analysis in trying to define who an Assames
> > is. I think the author has gone in-depth into this question and
> > considering numerous factors. Unfortunately, the author is listed as
> > 'anonymous'.
> >
> > --Ram
> > Who is an Assamese? This question has been plaguing different sections
> [...]

44 Million Items on Sale.What Are you Looking for? Find it on eBay.in!