The Assamese Diaspora

It is a painful experience to watch from a distance that the regional
political party (AGP) is split due to the strident groupism and
avarice for power by a gaggle of self-serving netas. The lack of unity
is our community characteristic, which is confined not only to the
State but has also survived in our transatlantic voyage. The Assamese
diaspora of the USA is a glistening example. Although Indians, having
metastasized to a whooping 1.7 million today, are the single largest
community among the movers and shakers here in the US (to a large
extent attributed to the Midas touch of the IIT graduates and
physicians), the size of the Assamese community is really puny. Yet,
this tiny community has garnered the pitiable distinction of having
multitude of organizations, at least half a dozen, thanks to the
presence of some lethally factious elements within the community. The
hallmark of these organizations is their tendency to quibble about
trifles. Last year, the two major organizations locked horns over the
'name' of the annual Assamese get-together. While one was bent on
naming the event as "Assam 2004", the other insisted on styling the
same as "Assam convention." Since they could not agree, the conundrum
of moniker had refused to go away till the last moment. The fallout of
this in-fighting was easy to visualize. The expectation of having a
joint jamboree fell like a house of cards just over such a petty
issue. In my view, from the drawing rooms of the better neighbourhoods
of Guwahati and the elite weekend retreats of America, all the way to
the roadside stalls in suburban Assam, we have mastered the art of
disunity.

Kamaljit Deka,
(by e-mail)
Sugarland,