Hi,

Everyone talks about the super rich and educated NRI community in US. There are plenty of news items about NRI kids doing wonders in US education. However, seeing a large number of US/Canada/UK brought up NRI kids entering the Indian film industry I imagined that there are large number of such kids who do not believe in progressing through education - assuming that you don't need to be an Enistein to join film industry.

My room mate is surprisingly well connected with India as well as US. He can speak English both in Indian and US accent - depending upon whom he is speaking to. Besides speaking Hindi and Kannada very well and some level of SPanish and Arabic.

He has got me access to Unv of Maryland, College Park and Montgomery Community College's Internet faciltites - which are both within the range of my DC metro rail pass.
I was surprised to note that there were so many young people of Indian origin in this community college - generally considered inferior to a regular 4 year degree college.
The facilities incl the computer lab are amazing - the cafeteria etc also rival Harvard's facilities.
But somehow the academic buzz is missing.

He told me last night that he even had sex with a girl of Indian origin in one of their classrooms. And how he is trying to get marraied to a girl in Banagalore - even while he is focussing on bedding a new tenant of Indian orgin from Trinidad. And he is no Ricky Martin either. He also told me of an NRI girl who married a hunky bar tender while visiting a pub in Bangalore.

I'm now trying to get he to realize that just a Community College Associate's degree would not make him the CEO of a major US bank where he is now working and how in today's world - Credentials are very important - not only becos of what you are taught -- but also the kind of work environment you have succeeded in earlier.

Community College evokes the image of hip-hop culture - Harvard MBA evokes punctual, hardworking, imaginative and analytical guy - besides what the fellow learns in his or her courses.

I feel that NRI kids whose parenst came from India - cannot understand how they differ from their parents - while charting career paths . Even John Ogbu would be confounded - where many  NRI kids are confused and lethargic even while being in touch with India where they are treated like lords.

He wants more advice from me tonight -- after seeing the film ABCD - AMerican Born Confused Desi.

Any suggestions?

Umesh