Alpanadi,

I almost assumed there was a hidden meaning in that
harmless question, given the propensity of BPO
business in India these days. Perhaps not.

BPO means Business Process Outsourcing. It includes
all those calls that get replied to in the case of a
Dell computer support call, American Express call
regading the card etc. While you dial your 1-800
number, the call reaches some part of India and is
responded to by an enthusiastic young Indian voice
going by the name of Becky or Bob. It also includes a
whole load of back office processing functions in
financial services, mortgage applications etc.

American companies ship these jobs overseas (India
being a most favored destination) and save costs.
Consequently, young Indians pick up these jobs at far
lower costs.

Used to be that the guys studying in Commerce or Arts,
getting out of DU or someplace else, would be sweating
at the thought of looking for a career. No longer - if
you are English speaking. Young 21 year olds earn Rs,
10,000 or 20,000 right out of college. They change
jobs 1 or 2 times a year because there is so much
demand. Companies scout around for young english
speaking talent around the country - when they have
exhausted New Delhi and Mumbai and Pune and Bangalore
and so on, they go to smaller towns. Imagine having a
recruitment goal of 20,000 new people in a year.

To get an idea of how big it is -  it is already a
million workforce strong in India in just a few years.
And taking over the role of the world's back office
has not yet scratched the surface.

As Swapnali points out, it probably could shape up as
one of the most important cultural phenomena to hit a
very young India.

Thanks to Swapnali for bringing this account out. Are
there many young Indians from the northeast in the BPO
business?

Rajib

--- "Alpana B. Sarangapani"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: