I agree with what Mr Barua have said.  Northeast after all is still a land of
wilderness for the rest of the "country".   That day, last saturday, i was
there in the midst of the mayhem, and reporting for my channel.  I am also a
resident of Beltola.  My observations on the violence can be summed up as
follows -

1) that the majority of the people who indulged in the violence were not
residents of beltola but menial workers/petty shopkeepers who stay somewhere
else.
2) that people from all communities took part and it's wrong to use the word
"assamese"....do you know that of the three persons arrested for stripping that
girl, two were not assamese...so portraying it as a conflict between "assamese
and adivasis" is erroneous...this is what some media channels have done and
incidentally the bureau head of one of these channels is going around saying
that i have facilitated the blacking out of their channels in guwahati....in
fact according to some senior journos, this reporter is known to have strong
anti-assamese sentiments.
3) that some locals themselves came forward to intervened in the violence, gave
protectin to some adivasis....one of them opened his shirt and gave it to the
girl who was stripped....one entered my house and my brother told him not to
venture out till the situation was normalised...i saw these with my own eyes
4) that some dark skinned locals also got beaten up .... interesting....since
they were mistakenly identified as adivasis.....

ive worked in new delhi as a journalist for quite a few no of years and i know
the attitude towards the northeast.....

regards.

Rajeev.