On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:36:43 -0400, Abe Kornelis wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:27:08 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:
>>Sorry. Don't know the opcode for MVCX. But, since I knew it was already
>>an assigned instruction mnemonic, I decided to use that name for a
>>macro. If they ever externalize it I'll be "screwed". :-D
>
>Ok, I'll admit MVCX is entirely new to me.
>Never ran into it until just now.
>I can understand the opcode is unknown,
>but would like to find out just what
>we _do_ know about this instruction.
>Is it real? What is it supposed to do?

There is a millicode-only instruction with a mnemonic of MVCX.  It is used
by millicode for variable-length moves without the need for EX+MVC.  (The
"Execute" instructions are really slow on modern machines.)  MVCX is used by
the millicode for MVCL and other instructions.  We know of the MVCX mnemonic
but not the op-code or the operand format.