If I remember the old 4331's had MVCX supported.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:assembler-l...@listserv.uga.edu] On
Behalf Of David Bond
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:44 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: OP-code C8 3

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:36:43 -0400, Abe Kornelis wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:27:08 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:
>>Sorry. Don't know the opcode for MVCX. But, since I knew it was already
>>an assigned instruction mnemonic, I decided to use that name for a
>>macro. If they ever externalize it I'll be "screwed". :-D
>
>Ok, I'll admit MVCX is entirely new to me.
>Never ran into it until just now.
>I can understand the opcode is unknown,
>but would like to find out just what
>we _do_ know about this instruction.
>Is it real? What is it supposed to do?

There is a millicode-only instruction with a mnemonic of MVCX.  It is used
by millicode for variable-length moves without the need for EX+MVC.  (The
"Execute" instructions are really slow on modern machines.)  MVCX is used by
the millicode for MVCL and other instructions.  We know of the MVCX mnemonic
but not the op-code or the operand format.

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.