Why make coding in assembler so difficult. People already complain that
it shouldn't be used because it's outdated and incomprehensible.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List
[mailto:assembler-l...@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:33 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Instruction Set Architecture (Subject: corrected)

  On 9/9/2010 12:14 AM, Fred van der Windt wrote:
>> Once my erroneous comma is removed, you can walk a lot further.
>> Read John Ehrman's article, as cited earlier by Michael Stack:
>>
>>       http://www.kcats.org/csci/464/ho/usingtechnique.shtml
> Not really. The offset will still and always allow you to walk 0-4095
bytes forward (from the base+index location). The original problem (and
the examples in the link) just introduce an index register to offset the
4096 byte window relative to the base register. In a very obfuscated
manner. I don't think anybody meant to say that an index register
doesn't allow you to move the 'window of addressability' anywhere you
want.

The USING statement always offsets the window.  What makes
one USING and implied address reference more obfuscated
than another?

> The linked article already said it: "The point of these examples is
not to recommend a particular practice, only to show how the assembler
does its work; I hope they helped". I would 'gently correct' developers
that dream up a code sequences like these in our shop.

I would firmly oppose such a gentle correction.  Take a broad view.
Which has the more obvious meaning:

          LA    R3,-4(R2)       Set R3 to 4 less than R2

or:

          LA    R3,4092(R1,R2)  Set R3 to 4 less than R2

?  The first hardly needs the comment to show the programmer's
intention, and the assembler's checking of addressability
window makes it less error prone.

-- gil

==========================
solely for the use of the individual or entity
to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify the system manager. This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in
reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.