>Do you think applications have a need for using SAC?

They sure do if they use data spaces. (Even ignoring the fact that
"applications" does not equate to "unauthorized")

As to where to "draw the line", draw it where it makes sense. If the
operating system lets an unauthorized program do something, then why
restrict that unauthorized program further unless necessary?

>A USER SVC is supposed to have the ability to issue
>any ABEND where the YY is it's ID and X is 0-E (FXX being reserved
>for the SVC YY not defined ABEND)?

I don't think this has ever been true for "X = 0". (I don't have any
comment on how the xFB and xFC completion codes got in there, although I
wouldn't be surprised if some of the xFC ones pre-dated user SVCs)

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design