On Jan 17, 2012, at 05:31, Fred van der Windt wrote:

>> Having the CLC near the EX helps for cache. I also like to assemble it
>> in-line because the right USINGs apply. We noticed that it is
>> attractive to run over the CLC (with the length byte 0 as assembled)
>> and then EX behind your back to do the real thing. More attractive
>> than branch over the target if the instruction lets you.
>
> The USING-issue is a strong argument in favor of this: I juggle around USINGs
> a lot and it is a pain (and error-prone) to set up the same USINGs for a
> single instruction that needs to be EXecuted.

An alternative is LOCTR (possibly in a macro).  (With possible
cache miss consequences.  I forget; is the target of EX treated
as a data access or as an instruction access for cacne management?)

But "instruction" should be a data type supported for use in
literals:  "EX  Rx,=INST'CLC ...'.  Some programmers have
kludged this with ugly hex constants; the facility should be
made orderly.

> We use the HLASM Toolkit Structured Programming Macros which means that we
> can't easily insert an instruction 'after' a Jump instruction. Almost all the
> Jump instructions are generated by the SPM macros.

-- gil