addressing: "relative address oriented programming".

I'll admit that it's not concise, but I'm optimistic we won't have a
religious war about the resulting acronym.

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International
(a division of Mazda Computer Corporation)
Tel: (905) 470-7113, Fax: (905) 470-6507

On 2012-06-17 09:05, John Gilmore wrote:
Words can of course have different specialized meanings in different
contexts, but there is ordinarily an evolutionary path between these
meanings.

Physicians, for example, talk of "senile changes", meaning those
associated with aging, in a way that is entirely devoid of pejorative
intent.  Or again, Chaucer and his contemporaries used the word "lewd"
to mean lay, not in holy orders; but there is a path between this
meaning and the modern one: the clergy did not often make what we call
lewd gestures in public.

I myself find 'baseless' very unsatisfactory, in part because it is
not at all transparent.  Thus, while I have no emotional investment in
the term "jump-based", I do believe a new one is needed;  'baseless'
can scarcely avoid connotations of dispensability when in fact it is
the base registers that are largely dispensable.

We need to look forward to a time when the use of base registers,
multiple ones in particular, and the arbitrary segmentation of code
into 4096-byte pieces will be perceived as a quaint, historically
interesting but obsolete practices; and a new contrasting term will be
helpful in changing the current "vulgar" mind set.   (Mr Gilmartin's
use of vulgar, which evolved from the Latin phrase "mobile vulgus", is
open to criticism; but that is a subject for another time and place.)

Alternative suggestions?

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA