Many thanks to all who replied.  I am going to look into ADATA and see if
we have the toolkit.  Lately I have been happily doing more ASM than
Cobol.

I think the analyst was given the job to find a "one tool fits all"
solution.  They were talking about C & C# & C++ & Cobol & ..., both m/f
and c/s.

I could tell from the look in her eyes as I talked to her that at least
she understood that HLASM is like no other language.

btw I remember the old 60s ADR ads on their flowcharter, including the
original one where they had a picture of their office build on fire.  I
seem to remember a plane crashed into it.  The pitch was that having all
source on tape instead of cards meant their little company was not out of
business after the fire.

I also vividly remember running the program on some spaghetti Cobol.  The
paper listing was inches thick as all the stray branches were traced.

They also had a product called metaCobol which supported writing macros
for Cobol.  I did an eval and suggested it would take a full time person
to support the macro language.  The oil company I was working for declined
to purchase it.

IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote on
10/25/2012 04:51:06 PM:

> From: John Ehrman <ehr...@us.ibm.com>
>
> Kirk Talman commented:
> A business person at our company asked me if it was possible to
flowchart
> HLASM programs.
>
> The ASMPUT ("Program Understanding Tool") component of the HLASM Toolkit
> Feature creates flowcharts of one or more assembler programs, with links
> between nodes on the graph and the source lines associated with that
node.
> It uses the ADATA file, and does not rely on the listing.
>
> It's documented in Chapter 4 of the Toolkit Feature User's Guide,
> GC26-8710.

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying,
or unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message. Thank you